Sunday, January 01, 2023

Setting the Trend for the Year on January 1: Yay or Nay?

I understand that some people feel very strongly that what one does on the first day of the year sets the tone for the year: they might clean the house thoroughly by the 31st so that they aren't cleaning on the 1st, and cook certain dishes, and be sure to do things that they want to do more of in the coming year.

As you may guess from the start of that sentence, I don't fall into that camp, or at least not fully. I don't think I'm jinxing my year if I have to do some unpleasant task on the 1st, and I don't worry too much about what I do. Well, beyond the fact that it's a vacation day, so I can do what I want! In that sense, I guess my day did set the tone, because I spent time with the cat on my lap, had a little moving-around-in-the-pool time*, watched hockey, and picked up some knitting. But I don't feel that if I hadn't done any of these things, it would impact the coming year.

*Calling it exercise is a bit of a stretch, but it was time I spent moving around, so partial credit for that.

Do you have traditions for New Year's? What do you do, or avoid doing, for this holiday?

Bonus Maggie-on-lap pictures:




3 comments:

  1. After two weeks of doing no more than finishing the long-put-off decrease stitches at the top of a hat, today I finally dove back into the never ending lavender afghan and man, it felt good. I need to do more of that, and though I'm hardly a believer in that aphorism, I did actually start how I hope to keep going, to get more knitting done and ready to give, and it felt good.

    And Maggie's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is that phrase, "Begin as you mean to go on." It makes January 1st seem a little daunting, no? I think your day sounds like a perfect low key and cozy way to ease into the New Year.
    We had an organic kind of day - nothing really planned, but some good things fell in place - breakfast out, lots of time at the park, cleaned out the fridge, and a boardgame to finish the day off. I wanted badly to find time to crack open my new planner, but that didn't happen. Seems ironic somehow. I need to plan time to plan :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't necessarily think that New Year's Day has to set the tone for the year - one year I had a violent stomach flu so that would have sucked - but I do like to get things done on that day. I like to take down the tree and really clean the house; I find it very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete