Friday, January 20, 2023

More Yarn Thoughts

I set aside a bunch for myself, I have three good-sized boxes of yarn to mail to my knitters up north, and a bunch of my local knitting friends have come by to "shop" the yarn. One of them lives in Ft Myers and lost all her yarn* in hurricane Ian, so she especially was due some good yarny luck!

*And everything else, ugh

One of the comments on the yarn windfall (from Diane C, for whom I don't see an email address) made me laugh: "I think I like the idea and potential of yarn more than the actual labor of doing something with it!" Diane, I've said it before, I'm sure, but buying yarn and using it are two different hobbies. Related ones, sure, but not always so closely related as some might expect.

I also have said many a time that in large part, yarn buying for me is retirement planning. Years ago, I was talking to a knitter who said that after she was laid off, it was a great comfort to have plenty of nice yarn on hand when she could not spend money on it. I got to thinking that one day, that mythical day when I can retire, I won't be able to spend a lot of money on yarn, so I want to have what is essentially my own yarn store, stocked with only things I love, to get me through that. Which is why SABLE* doesn't scare me.

*SABLE = stash acquisition beyond life expectancy; that is, more yarn than you will live long enough to knit (crochet, etc.)

Time for what's left to go to the charity knitters. And do good in the world. 

1 comment:

  1. My mom started stockpiling jigsaw puzzles and yarn and lots of craft supplies and I asked her why she was doing it and she flat out said it was for her retirement. LOL. Some people (most?) plan ahead better than I do.

    ReplyDelete