Wednesday, August 31, 2016
Tuesday, August 30, 2016
I was working on the second half of the lace shawl, Puncia, at stitch and bitch, and it occurred to me that I could block the first half, to see what a difference blocking was going to make, and it would be kind of fun to have the two halves to compare, instead of just before-and-after photos.
Here it is, just laid out before its soak.
One thing that I thought would happen, though, is that some of the uneven spots would smooth out, but there they still are.
Now, back to stripey! It's funny how I think I've laid something out straight until I see the pictures.
Simple Yet Effective Shawl, except I did all stockinette instead of alternating with garter. I did a few rows of garter at the bottom, then used the Two-Row Bind Off from the book Cast On, Bind Off by Leslie Ann Bestor.
The magical, magical yarn is MCN Fingering: Shawl (self-striping), from Caterpillargreen yarns, in the Concrete and Tulips colorway, and I used all but a gram of the XL skein.
Monday, August 29, 2016
Sunday, August 28, 2016
Thursday, August 25, 2016
I had a haircut after work today, and when I left, I realized I was down the street from a bank branch, and needed the ATM. So I pulled in, parked, and walked over to the door. An older man was walking to his car as I went in, where I found the machine asking, Do you want another transaction? Wait, I didn't put my card in yet ... oh, wait, I bet that's his card in there! (I think in Europe, you swipe the card and it doesn't stay in the whole time. Why aren't ours like that?)
I hit No and sure enough, his card popped out. I took it and went back outside, waving him down, and gave it back to him. Good deed accomplished!
Wednesday, August 24, 2016
Even if this one was rated higher, I'm not sure I want to know what "necro-bromance" looks like, you know?
Wait, they're warning you about the allegory and meaninglessness? Picture me puzzled.
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Anyway, Sunday night I somewhat abruptly decided I was Olympic-ed out, and rather than watching the closing ceremonies, I started watching Sherlock instead (which I got from the library on DVD [season 1], though really I could just watch it on Netflix, and will for the rest). It's good, isn't it? Have you watched it? I am not on the bandwagon that thinks Benedict Cumberbatch is is super-handsome, but he's certainly doing interesting things with this role. Watching on...
Sunday, August 21, 2016
- Carlos was asleep this afternoon when I went out for some groceries, and clearly only woke up when I returned. He came into the kitchen, blinking, and tried to summon his usual disapproval of my having gone out, but it was unconvincing. "How dare you leave me? Um, you were out, right? Were you gone long? Um, how could you?"
- Last night I watched the Olympics and knit on the second half of the lace shawl, finally getting it past the patterned part, to where it's social knitting again. I plan to finish up the rainbow stripe shawl first, since I just have to get through the rest of the blue stripe and the last of the grey, then it's onward with the lace. Woo-hoo!
- I don't think I've ever seen a horizontal lightning bolt, but it's pretty cool! (It also cracks me up that it apparently happened in Tampa, home of the NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning.)
- It's fun to check on an author whose book I liked, and find out there's another one out by her.
- Finally, I found this video about the true size of the world versus the Mercator map very interesting. I did know that Greenland is very misleading, but a lot of the other stuff, like Japan next to the East Coast of the US, was startling.
Friday, August 19, 2016
you were looking for today, is it? Here we go.
Little Miss Coco. Cocoa? I don't know how they're spelling it, and they mostly call her the little one anyway.
And thus endeth the tale of the first visit to the kitties.
Thursday, August 18, 2016
Remember back in January, when I went to visit the kitten my friends gave their kids for Christmas? And then in April, I got to visit her again?
Well, they decided to get another one, to keep the first one company (she's so social, they were hating to leave her alone, like, ever).
She is wee, this new one. The photo doesn't fully convey how teeny.