Sunday, January 08, 2023

Let Go of the (Book Club Non-reading) Guilt; More Yarn!

My book club meets on Sunday, tonight as I write this; this is the dozenth meeting (we meet about every two months). Of the selected books, one I had read before (Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir), and one was my choice (Small Blessings, by Martha Woodroof), so of course I had read that before. 

Side note: I am fundamentally unable to suggest a book I haven't already read and liked. Because if I don't want to finish it, I don't want to! And if I don't finish the book, how will I lead a good discussion of it? So while some of the others suggest books they've heard about but not read, my suggestions (we do ranked voting, and suggest 3 or 4 books) are always known to me.

The remaining ten books, well. I finished three of them, and didn't finish the other seven (including this selection, The Lost Vintage, by Ann Mah). And I'm struggling with the not finishing! No one has said anything--other people don't always finish either, and I don't think my record bothers anyone. But somehow it bugs me, and I'm trying to let go of that. Because who cares? Are they going to kick me out? We're all friends, I don't think they will. And if they did, well, we'll still be friends. 

Let go of the rule-following, people-pleasing pressure. There's nothing wrong with every book not being right for every reader at any given time; doesn't mean the book is bad, and doesn't mean the reader is either. Ahem.

Annnnnyway! How about some yarn?

Yesterday I was part of a group of ten knitters who went up to Sarasota to visit a store there, A Good Yarn (and we had lunch, at Millie's, which was really good). It was a really fun day, and I brought home these two beauties:


So lovely! More specifically, this one is Miss Babs, Yearning, which is a big ol' skein of their heavy laceweight Yet yarn, 65% merino and 35% silk.

Those colors, mmm.

The other is a Florida dyer, KittyBea Knits, and Palma Sola is an exclusive that's DK, and 100% baby alpaca. Mmmm.


Another thing I came home with was a gift from one of the group, who had made a bunch of small project bags as samples for a sewing class she was teaching, and gave them to us as gifts. So neat!



So cute, so well made, just the size for a 100-gram skein or ball.

Sadly, today I've been dealing with a migraine all day, which is unfortunate, but at least it didn't spoil yesterday.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, pretty, oooh, pretty, oh how sweet! And useful!

    Have fun! (And feel better.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous yarn!

    When I was part of a book club years ago, a majority never finished the books. It was more of a wine drinking and chatting club. But I understand feeling weird about not finishing. (Although life is too short to force yourself to read books you don't like!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone recently told me about a book club in which everyone just comes and talks about a book that they have recently read, so there are like ten different books discussed. This seemed to me to be genius! I was in a traditional book club many years ago and many people hadn't finished the book, every meeting. It was no big deal, as long as no one minded spoilers.

    ReplyDelete