Tuesday, January 17, 2023

Looking at My Yarn Stash (as I add to it)

On the one hand, the amount of yarn I'm keeping from my recent tremendous windfall is a very small amount of what came in.

On the other, it's more yarn than I've ever bought at one time. 

So, it depends how you look at it!

This is almost all of what I'm keeping:

I say almost because some of my local knitting friends came over on Sunday and today to take yarn, and I did end up picking up a few more to keep. But not a lot more!

Of course, that means finding room for it in my stash, and I have a not-small amount of yarn already. NGS asked how I organize it, so I thought I'd show you here.

I sort my yarn by weight, so that if I'm looking for what I have in aran or DK, I can look in one spot. I have the most in the category of fingering/sock-weight yarn, and that I have mostly sorted by color, too, though it's outgrowing its designated space.

There's this:

But also this:
Those two shelves are part of this bookcase stack:
So I think what I'm going to do is find a different place to put project bags and organizers (since this space isn't working well for those anyway), which will clear another three shelves for fingering. Look for the massive fingering stash reorg sometime!

Aran (one square) and worsted (two):

DK and sport, two each:
One each of odds and ends, lace, and bulky, with projects behind the closed door (which is closed because they start falling out when it's opened):
And more projects and intended projects, below the coffee and cat food:
I wouldn't call myself super-organized; it works fairly well, but I certainly do have times when I can't find something I'm looking for. But it mostly works.

Knock on wood!

Any questions?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a LOT of yarn! You must have a ton of projects in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shouldn't that be knock on wool?

    I hesitate to say that my reaction to your stash was one of, Beginner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It's so organized. I definitely need to figure out something better with my fabric stash!

    Thanks for answering my question about where and how you store it all.

    ReplyDelete