Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Contrast (another way)

One thing to keep in mind, in running across people's lists and discussions of how many books they read in 2022, is that both of these are books:

I know there are people who track page counts instead, to get around this, but if one reads e-books, and makes the print larger, then that affects the number of pages, so it isn't a perfect solution. And really, even in print books, some books are denser per page than others. It's an interesting thing to think about.

If one is a book nerd, anyway, as I obviously am.

2 comments:

  1. I use page counts from Goodreads, which I assume are standardized in some way or another for ebooks. I also think number of books can sometimes be a bit misleading because reading a romance novel versus a dense nonfiction book can potentially give you the same number of pages, but we all know which one will take longer to get through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I used to track the "hours read" on all my Libby books, and the length of audiobooks. I think the more interesting metric for me is how often I read, more than the number of books I read. I had a reading goal for last year, but I think this year, I want to read more big books, so I'm throwing that reading goal away.

    ReplyDelete