Tuesday, January 03, 2023

Three Weeks?

Wait a minute, I leave for Hawaii in three weeks? What? I mean, three weeks from tomorrow, but given the hour I'm leaving, it's basically three weeks from today. Ack. I knew when I was making the flight plans last month that I would have more to do, but I figured it could wait until after the holidays.

Well. It's after the holidays. I had best get to work, hadn't I. 

And I have! 

I made my hotel reservation near SFO, so that's set. 

I also called the person who does car-service-type rides (he has been highly recommended by neighbors), as my flights leave and arrive back to Lauderdale very early, and though my mother is willing, I am not asking her (or anyone I like) to do that for me--I would feel awful about it. And I don't want to drive myself at that hour either, particularly after the red-eye coming back. He's got me on the list, and I'll check with him a few days before, but I should be set there.

I always make a packing list when I travel, to sort out what to bring, what to carry on (and to access on the plane versus carry on just-in-case), etcetera, so I looked to see if I had a saved one from the last Hawaii trip. I did, so that's a good starting point, and it includes this item in the carry-on list: "so many snacks!" Evergreen advice. The cross-country flight is 6 and a half hours, and then California to Hawaii (the next day) is another 6 hours. I am going to need so many snacks!

Next, after:

  • a very large amount of moaning, whining, and complaining, 
  • one phone call (how on earth did I end up with two reward numbers for United? when is the last time I even flew United?), and 
  • one what-am-I-missing-here google search (turns out that in order to get the Southwest flight I have previously booked to show up in my brand-new rewards account [that I created from the link in their email asking if I wanted to sign up for rewards for this flight], I don't add it from the account, I add the rewards number to the reservation), 
I have updated alllllllll my info for the various airlines I'm flying, signed up for the things I need, added my known traveler number, and so on ad infinitum. What an absolute pita that was, but I have all the apps on my phone now and I think it's all set. Pretty please, universe.

I got a new cord so that I can use my power pack with my new phone (because of course it doesn't have the same cord needs as the old phone, ha ha ha), and I also got a little case that fits the power pack perfectly and has room for the cords. Very satisfying. I ordered a travel light for knitting, and hopefully that will be just as satisfying, knock on wood.

What else? I'm sure there's more.

3 comments:

  1. Manoa Chocolate is a made and grown in Hawaii company and their chocolate is exquisite. Enjoy.

    Also--I'm sitting here remembering a strange request from my daughter in college at the time. Who did not knit. Mom? Could you mail me some mohair yarn?

    Say what now? I mean, sure, but???

    Her roommate was from Hawaii, and a knitter, and had heard of mohair yarn but had never seen it in her life and was curious. And very cold--it was snowing at the college. So, sure, got it in the mail right away, wishing her warmth and chuckling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like this post is the #1 reason I never leave my house! It all sounds too complicated. I do hope you have a lovely time once you get there to make up for all this bureaucratic nonsense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for your trip, and I know that it will be worth all the effort!!

    ReplyDelete