Thursday, February 01, 2024

Updates on This and That

Just some random things!

  • Now that gifts have been gifted (over a month ago, but whatever), I have a couple of things to share. A pair of mitts I knit for Mary Ellen, of which I apparently only took this one photo before they went in for a soak? How unlike me. Just because I wasn't putting up photos of them at the time didn't mean I couldn't take photos, but apparently?
(Yes, yes, it is possible that one is slightly longer than the other. I'm sure it was just the angle. Or that they needed to be blocked. Pretend you don't see anything, please.)

Oh, wait, I took another picture earlier when I was trying one on.
Anyway, done and received so now can be revealed. The pattern is Ribbed Mitts by Adrienne Ku (Ravelry), and the yarn is Merino/nylon Sock from Out of Step Dyeworks, colorway Black Rose, held doubled. They feel nice and cozy, I think.

  • I gave a few Javasoks to friends, and got a few for myself, and wanted to share about those. I love the Bruins ColdCupSok I got for myself; I carry it with me to use in restaurants (I wouldn't pull it out in a really nice restaurant, but I don't go to those often). I got the small size, since not all glasses are tall enough to need the larger sizes, and it works like a charm at keeping my drink, a) cold enough not to melt the ice right away, and b) not dripping on me, which is a thing I hate. (Don't get me started on how Outback has switched to these big, heavy mugs for soda, which have handles so I can't use the cover, and which weigh a freaking ton, thanks a lot, Outback, not everyone who wants a Coke is asking for a workout to go with it.)
    • I also got a Bruins CanSok for home use, but with my bad hands I find that a little harder to get on the can than other similar items I have, so I'm not using it frequently. Would doubtless be better for those without arthritis, as I'm sure it does a great job at keeping the can cool. I'll be more likely to use it if I'm bringing a can with me and going out, or traveling.
    • Finally, if you too will sometimes eat ice cream straight out of the pint, may I introduce you to the IceCreamSok? Keeps your hands from freezing, keeps the ice cream colder longer...it's a win!
    • If you do decide to get some, watch for sales. I got a pre-Black-Friday deal in November, but just about the next six weeks were deals like buy 5, get 5 free, and then in January it was all 30% off. Don't pay full price if you can wait, is my advice. Or if you're in a rush, check out their sale section; they change designs a lot, so out with the old.
  • I still love my new purse! So far, I have been pretty good at not filling it to capacity, which is preferable because it is on the larger side, and gosh it weighs enough when it isn't crammed full. One change I made, which I don't think I wrote about, was to get a new strap. Not only was the original one crossbody, which I don't want to use that way and would always get tangled in, but the material was actually quite slippery--as if I don't already have trouble keeping the strap on my shoulder! It was crazy. So I found a leather worker on etsy, Feature Leather Goods, and ordered an over-the-shoulder-length strap (measuring another bag I have that I like the length of, to know which size to get). It works so well! It's really well made, feels solid but not stiff, and just suits my needs so much better that I barely feel a pang for the pretty hardware on the other one--no good if it won't stay on my shoulder, no matter how pretty. 

  • Seeing The Wizard of Oz on the big screen was indeed something I enjoyed! Mom stood firm that she had not seen it before, and she also admitted she didn't particularly like it, but she often says she would rather go to things she might not like than not go, so it wasn't at all a slam against me for wanting to go.
Going to the movies has changed since I was younger, though. I just got popcorn.

  • I have been able to make the switch to not getting my hair wet when I first get in the shower, so I am dealing with much less water-dripping-into-my-eyes now, which I love! It doesn't exactly feel natural, I still have to think about it, but hey, changing conditioned reflexes is hard.
  • Last summer, just before Mom fell and sent us spinning down the path we are still on (path isn't quite right; wild river currents leading to a giant waterfall, maybe?), I wrote about going to call AAA about my flat tire and the card said my membership had expired. I had a vague idea I would call them to re-up, but that has not happened. This week, though, two things happened. 
    • First was the whole razor-in-the-tire thing, which made me wonder just how much of a PITA it would be if I needed to be towed.
    • Second, I got mail two days in a row offering me special deals on insurance as a AAA member. Which, am I, though?
    • So I finally called, and the very nice woman said that yes, my membership is still in good standing (which I do not understand how, but oh good), and even offered to add my mother as a free member on my account, which gives us more service calls in a year than I get alone. I hope I/we won't need them, but for free, sure. She's sending new cards, and that's all set. Yay, I made a phone call, it wasn't awful, and the situation is resolved! How rare is that.
  • Finally, there is no update to the elevator because it continues to work, yay and also phew. But there is an update in that Maggie has taken advantage of the new place to nap: I was using this backpack for carrying things up the stairs, and before I got around to putting it away again, it was taken. 

Hey, if it makes her happy, why not?

9 comments:

  1. The mitts are the same size!! I can attest to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cats love to sit on things. My Mari is the same. I use a Yeti mug for home drinks and the ice barely melts. Like you, I don't go out much and will suffer through their lousy drinks. (unless it's a delicious draft beer!) I'm terrified of the Wizard of Oz. Perhaps a Margarita would help? How bizarre that they have mixed drinks at the movies now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaritas at the movies? Who knew? Not me.
    I like that purse. I have so much trouble keeping a purse on my shoulder too, I always go cross body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find cross-body so awkward, I'd rather deal with keeping it on my shoulder! Takes all kinds, right?

      Delete
  4. I plunk my ice cream pint into a coffee mug. Works great!

    Even a margarita isn't enough to get me to go to the movies. More booze (and popcorn) for you.

    Love that Maggie has now commandeered your backpack. Maybe you can get rid of her cardboard LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah, the right sized mug would work too! And no, can't get rid of HER box. She feels very strongly about that one. Someday she will give up on the backpack, though, and I'll put it away.

      Delete
  5. What a very pretty color of purple! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, purple isn't usually a top color choice for me, but I couldn't resist that one!

      Delete