Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Tiny Movements

I wrote this title and thought about the different posts it could work for, which is kind of fun. In my case, I am referring to my current plan to incorporate small amounts of stretching and movement into lost minutes of the day, what Frank Gilbreth called unavoidable delay. I've been doing this online stretch class for a while now, 15 minutes at a time, three days a week, and it has me thinking about ways and times I can add movement to my day:

  • Filling my water glass: I drink a lot of water, and I like to use the ice and water dispenser on the fridge. It doesn't take that long, but I'm there a few times a day, so why not do calf lifts or bicep curls at the same time?
  • Waiting for the water to warm up in the shower: If no one has run hot water right before showering, it takes a minute or two to get warm in there. So why not move? I'm careful with the foot moves, as the water spreads around underfoot, but there are things I can do (holding on for safety--I'm too uncoordinated to take chances).
  • Microwaving food: Sometimes I go do something else that will take a minute, but if I'm just standing there, then stretch.
  • Waiting for the elevator, and riding the elevator--it's working, but it's not a fast-moving machine, so why not do some hamstring stretches?

It isn't that I think this counts as exercise, but even tiny bits of movement are better than nothing. Right? 

Maggie, of course, thinks that I should fill all moments of the day with tasks that are to her benefit. Including laps.


13 comments:

  1. Tiny bits of movement are great and really do add up. I had a lady in yoga who used to do tree pose when she brushed her teeth, and she had FANTASTIC balance. She also did a standing cat/ cow while waiting for her coffee to brew in the morning. I think it really added up because I saw a huge difference in her during the six years I taught class with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspirational! Though I would have to warm up to it very gradually. I can easily imagine myself falling over and having some bizarre toothbrush-impaling accident.

      Delete
  2. I love that idea! It's important not to stay in one spot for too long and small movements can keep our joints lubricated and our muscles warm. I do this fairly naturally but will now be more mindful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Club Fidget! Our motto: We burn calories while you sit still

      Delete
  3. I agree that these little things add up! I always do laps around the platform if my train is going to be more than a few minutes wait. Even 100 extra steps is worth something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually use those little bits of time to complete small tasks like wiping the counter, cleaning the coffee basket, watering my window geranium, etc., but yes, remembering to stretch and move are also great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try to do some sort of movement at least once an hour, even if it's just raising my arms up and down. Sometimes I think about the number of people who never do ANY stretching and I wonder how sore their backs must be!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it's a delicate balance between stretching and overdoing it--I'm such a delicate flower! But careful movements work for the good.

      Delete
  6. Oh absolutely. And the more of it you do, the more of it you do anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! This is such a good idea! I do squats and calf raises and stretches while I am using my electric toothbrush. It's just a teeny bit of movement, but it's something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS something! And anything is better than nothing.

      Delete