Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Sleep!

Last month, I was reading a blog* and came across mention of an eye mask to block out light while sleeping. I've tried that some years back, but found it to be uncomfortable, in part because not being able to open my eyes was weirdly claustrophobic. But this one mentioned a specific mask that is deep enough that you can open your eyes; I pondered on it for a bit, then ordered my own to try. And what do you know, it works! For me, anyway. It is slightly uncomfortable around my head, and makes me wish I had thicker hair as a cushion, but it's not too bad. Worth it!


*I had to dig back a little to find the blog I read about this on, and it's Elisabeth's! So my most sincere thanks to her for gifting me extra sleep.

Here's my sleep situation: my bedroom is naturally on the dim side, since the one window, instead of facing straight outside, is on the breezeway near the elevator, so it isn't bright light even when the sun is strong. I have regular blinds, not room-darkening ones, so there's a little bit of light leakage there. Then the door has to be left ajar for cat purposes, which doesn't let in much light at night, but once it gets light out, there's definitely more coming in from the living/kitchen windows. 

This time of year, it isn't light when I get up at 6:30 on work days, so that's not an issue during the week. On weekends, though, when I can usually sleep in, I have found that once I am aware that it is "late" enough to be getting light, my brain starts turning on, whether I want it to or not, and I can't get back to sleep. This has led to me grumpily getting up and looking at the time, and saying, Well, at least it starts with a 7

With the mask, though? I woke up early Sunday morning, went to the bathroom, and put the mask on, and when I woke up again, it was 8:55. Almost 9 AM! Woo, so much sleep! Which I clearly needed. 

My plan is not to bother wearing the mask on a work night, at least until it starts being lighter in the mornings. On nights when I can sleep in, I still don't need to wear it all night, since I wake up at least once and usually twice in the night (stupid bladder). So I'll put it on then, and block out that disturbing light, and hope that it goes as well as it did last weekend. I'll keep you posted.

12 comments:

  1. Ooooh this sounds very interesting! I wake up at ANYTHING, including the smallest lighting change, and have wondered if a sleep mask would help. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to fall asleep with it on, though. But maybe worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I am such an early bird, so it's not the light that wakes me. I guess it's just me that wakes me? Does it get caught in your hair? I am very sensitive to any kind of mild hair pulling, so I wonder if it feels strange on your hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't feel weird on my hair, though the buckle-thing for adjusting it does rest near my ear, which can be a little uncomfortable. My hair is short, thin/fine, and the most it does is slide down a little.

      Delete
  3. I have a black out blind which works well except in full summer since it does leak around the edges. My late husband used to say "light is the thief of sleep." I believe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it too! I was of course hoping this would help me, but I've been surprised at how much of a difference it makes.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad it's working for you and hope the extra sleep trend continues. The one thing I don't like is because it's puffy I can't sleep on my stomach very well (and even have to position it just-so on my side), but I wear it EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. I love that I can open my eyes and also, more than anything, am just astonished at how truly it blacks every single thing out.
    @Suzanne: I can't fall asleep without mine on anymore so it does get to be a bit "addicting" - after a few nights of wearing it I was fully acclimated.
    @Nicole: of all the eye masks I've tried over the years, this is the one that is most cushioned in my opinion. It has NEVER gotten stuck in my hair and has a great adjustment strap on the back - no Velcro! - that actually stays put.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find stomach sleeping uncomfortable, so that isn't an issue for me. I'm a side sleeper, and I do have to adjust my head position a bit so I don't knock it off center. But it works!

      Delete
  5. I imagine at some point in my life I will be sleeping with an eye mask on, gloves on my hand to help with my eczema medication, and I'll be the sexiest thing that ever walked the earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but I honestly laughed at this! The things we do for our fragile human bodies, eh?

      Delete
  6. This is encouraging: you found something that works. I've tried several sleep masks, including a padded one but its outer edges were hard, and haven't found it yet. Having my eyelashes brush against one--no no no. My problem is transom windows that I love to look out at the sky and trees in the morning, but at night they're positioned to exactly track the path of the moon in all its glory. And the city replaced the streetlight nearby with an ultrabright one. So a sleep mask would be great. The best I've found is a soft silk one. But the size-adjustment clip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad this works for you! Is it weird that light doesn't bother me/wake me up? Maybe because I take so many daytime naps, haha. I am desensitized. It's a good idea to not wear it all night, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great if you don't need it! I'm super sensitive to a lot of things, though oddly, caffeine isn't one of them, as it is for so many people. I know plenty of people can't have any after noon, and I can have it with dinner and sleep fine. Until it gets light, anyway!

      Delete