Thursday, November 30, 2023

Distraction Hands (like jazz hands? Kind of?)

Life is ... rather a lot right now. Let's talk about something else. I got a new handbag!

I have ridiculously specific desires in a bag. 

  • I do not like switching bags, so it has to work for all outfits and occasions (except a funeral, let's say). This means that on the interesting-to-bland scale, I stick closer to bland.
  • I want a number of pockets so I can grab my keys, my sunglasses, my phone without looking...reach for the chapstick at a red light and find it without digging...you get the idea. 
  • I also prefer a bag of a certain size, so I can carry a shawl and a small knitting project at all times. I have a bag I really like, but it's just too small for this part.
  • But I don't want it too much bigger, because I will fill available space, and then throw my back out carrying it.
  • I would like a bag to stand up by itself, but not so strongly that it is stiff. (I know, I know, I am listening to myself. Picky, picky.)
  • Finally, I prefer a shorter, non-adjustable shoulder strap, though I have compromised on this. And I don't want to wear it cross-body anyway, my chest finds that uncomfortable (and unflattering). Bags don't stay on my shoulders happily, so I'm going to be holding it on most of the time anyway. It's just that I get tangled in the longer strap.

I have tried many a bag and been dissatisfied with one thing or another, so lately I have gone back to one I've used often before. 


It is bland. It is a blob. I do not love it, but in terms of functionality, it checks more of the boxes than any other I've found.

I recently went through the Baggalini website to see if I could find another of theirs that I liked more, and lo, I did.

What's that, you say? Navy isn't much more exciting than beige? Well, this bag has a secret.
It's expandable, and when you unzip that, there's a rainbow inside.
I love it!

I also figured out, in a delayed reaction, why there is a review on the website that is Very Upset about the photo showing the bag unzipped. 

At first I was just confused: why is she upset that they are showing an expandable bag both zipped up and unzipped? But then the penny dropped: she feels the bag is promoting the gay agenda? I guess? I don't know. I just like rainbows, but then again, if it is supposed to be LGBTQ+ supportive, well, I am too, so that's fine with me. Sorry, narrow-minded lady.

When I opened the package, I wondered if, despite all my measuring, it was going to be too big, but when they're empty, they pretty similar.

So, this one does have the adjustable shoulder strap style that I don't love, but I'm hoping that in other ways, it will be as good as or better than the old one. 

Sparkly hardware and all.



9 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud in surprise and delight when the rainbow appeared in your next picture. My daughter's close friend from college visited while we did last week and I finally got a chance to get to know her after hearing about her forever. She's gay. Who cares. You could not ask for a better friend for your kid and she adores and plays with my grandkids and they call her aunty, for good reason. Love your new bag!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! And I love the rainbow - bonus that it pisses off the bigots.
    I am also ridiculously picky with purses, and I have not found the perfect one yet, so I am always just a little bit dissatisfied. I carry around a lot of crap, and as much as I'd like to think I can change, all indications are to the contrary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire people who go around with just a small bag or even a clutch, but in general, I want all my just-in-cases with me. What if I need that? Or that?

      Delete
  3. Ooooh I am HERE for this discussion. I have very specific feelings about bags as well. I have one from lululemon that I love, but my problem is also that I will fill available space, and this bag is huge. Do I NEED four different pair of sunglasses at all times? NO. I'm a cross-body kind of gal because I also find shoulder straps are always slipping off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think that I will have to be careful with this bag not to overuse all the space. We'll see how that works for me!

      Delete
  4. I love how everyone has such specific standards. I, for example, get really frustrated by zippers and prefer my bags to be cross body and zipperless!

    The rainbow is awesome! Just the perfect little pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? I mean, a whole bag of rainbow would be Too Much, but just that little bit is so right.

      Delete
  5. Every woman is picky about her bag/purse. I do NOT want a zipper closure. I do NOT want pockets. I cannot use shoulder straps. I don't want it bigger than a lunchbox. It must be lightweight, so fake leather or fabric it is. (I have very weak arms/shoulders.)

    Hooray for the rainbow, and I consider it a huge bonus if it irritates conservatives and bigots. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You DON'T want pockets?! I am fascinated. Everything just gets thrown in, willy-nilly? How does that work? Wow, it's so funny how different we all are, right?

      Delete