Monday, February 26, 2024

Past Travel: Key West, September 2023, Part Four

For more about this series, see Part OnePart Two; Part Three.

On Wednesday morning, I went back over to Cuban Coffee Queen for a light breakfast with one of the group (their Cuban frappe with caramel was wonderful). Plus I loved the lid they seal on the top so you can't spill your drink--at least, not easily. 
* Blended iced coffee with the shot of Cuban espresso added. ADD vanilla caramel or mocha

We hung out there for a little bit before my friend called us an Uber to take to Books & Books, where we were meeting up with some of the others who had breakfasted elsewhere. (It's not actually a long walk, but she had her own reasons for joining me in the minimizing-walking plan for dealing with the heat.) 

Books & Books is a really nice bookstore that is actually co-founded by Judy Bloom (if I have to tell you who that is, you won't be impressed, so just take my word for it, it's cool). 

I didn't get either of these, but it's a fun choice to make, eh? 

I would pick relax, if I had to choose. You?

This one looked good, though I didn't buy it. I should check the library for it.

I very much enjoyed browsing around, and did get a few things, book and accessory alike (they have cards, magnets, bookmarks, all that kind of thing). 

Several of us went on a little wander after, including into a fun shop called Coco's Monkey, where they had some pieces that reminded me of the bar in Hank's from the day before!

Very cool. They had other fun things, too. Nicely snarky.


We went separate ways at the corner, and I headed back to the hotel, stopping in at Tervis on the way to get a tumbler to remind me of the trip. Though I ended up getting one that wasn't Key West-specific, just that appealed to me (manatees!).

Back at the hotel, I had a sandwich by the pool and hung out for a bit, but was back in my room before it started pouring, fortunately, and even more fortunately, it stopped before our evening plans. For our last night there, we were going to dinner at Latitudes, a very fancy restaurant at Sunset Key, which is a private island* just across the water from the hotel: you could see it in a lot of my previous sunset photos. You have to have a reservation to even get on the water taxi and ride over; I think this reservation was the first thing the group agreed we wanted to do.
*You can stay there, that is, but it isn't open to the public.

Riding over:

Just a cormorant drying its wings out. Or an anhinga, I can't actually tell them apart, but they're both black birds whose feathers need to be dried out that way.
View from the dock. Glad to see that blue sky coming!
We were seated inside, but there was a very pretty patio area as well.
Food photos, anyone?
I'm a steak fan, though I don't usually ever pay this price!

We walked around a little bit after dinner. It's really ridiculously beautiful.

Ibis! Poking around for bugs for dinner.
It seems like a really peaceful place to stay. 
The sun was heading down as it got to be time to get the water taxi back, though we got a bunch of photos from the dock before getting the tail end of it on the boat. It's all sunset from here, if you want to scroll past quickly (or just skip the 50+ photos), and we'll finish the trip next time.






















































7 comments:

  1. I love the boat and the pilings in those sunset pictures. The clouds and colors are all a bit different--so unique. I rarely pass by a coffee shop or a book store without stopping in to check out the goods. That's ingenious to seal the top of the cup; I'm a spiller! Depending on the circumstances, sometimes we need to relax, other times to fight. (not physically but in other ways)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point, it would depend on the circumstances. I guess I should say that I prefer to relax!

      Delete
  2. This post exemplifies why traveling is so hard for me. Someone had to KNOW you need reservations for the restaurant and the water taxi and then someone had to MAKE the reservations and I'm already stressed out about it. LOL. Other people may read this post and say "how beautiful" and "what a cool bird" and I'm all stuck on making reservations and what if something goes wrong and how do you know where to go and it's no wonder I hate to leave my house. LOL. Typing this out made me think maybe I need to do something about my anxiety level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, the endless possibilities! When I'm the one who has to make the decisions, I'm constantly reminding myself that it's not that there is One Right Choice and everything else is awful, so just choose and move on.
      In the case of this trip, some of the others were much more familiar than I was with Key West, so they had plenty of suggestions and I just had to decide what I wanted to do (rum and reggae cruise, no; fancy dinner, yes). It was nice to have someone else doing the thinking!

      Delete
  3. Judy Blume, I love her!!! How fun. OMG "frugal is such an ugly word" - perfect for a vacation! This looks like such a beautiful and fun vacation! Such gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. And scrolling through something hit me hard that I never thought of before: I suddenly understand how my son ended up in San Diego. He lived in southern Florida for two years and got to see sights like that. And now he lives near the beach, just, one where the sun properly (to him) sets rather than rises (which is one of the things that was weird to me when we moved to California--that and Christmas lights in palm trees.)

    ReplyDelete