Friday, February 02, 2024

My Happy Things Friday

Hi, Elisabeth, you have inspired me again to look for happy things!

  • My friend Mary Ellen gave me a lovely bar of soap as part of my Christmas gifts, and I liked it so much I ordered more from the same place, Center Street Soap. It's lovely! It feels smooth, smells nice (but without lingering so that I smell it actively all day long, I don't like that), and the bars are even aesthetically appealing. Pretty!
I bought a sampler pack, what they call travel size. Isn't it clever of them to use their ends this way? And I get to try lots of different ones. Win win.
Pretty bars.
And pretty packaging.

They also sent a few samples!

  • Next thing making me happy: the right tools for the job. I've been happy with the shawl I'm knitting, but I got notably happier when I changed two things.
    I use interchangeable needles when I'm making a project like this that will grow. The only needles that I had in the size I needed were dark green, which is not ideal with a darker yarn, and the short cord I used was black, not ideal for counting stitches in that dark yarn, especially in low light.

So I ordered a set of light-colored needle tips, and switched to a longer orange cord.
So much easier to see! I was enjoying the project before, but it feels even better with the right tools.

  • Stretching and movement: About 18 months ago, I joined the online stretch class that I learned about from NGS, which is a simple, 15-minute stretch class three days a week on Zoom; the healthcare system that runs it is in Wisconsin, but they let me in! I do think it helps me get a little more limber and flexible, but the other thing it does is make me think about other opportunities in my day for movement. I drink a lot of water, so I can move around while filling my water bottle: it's only a minute, but every little bit helps. Similarly, when I get in the shower it takes a minute or two for the water to warm up, might as well be fidgeting in that time! I've just started another video class, a chair yoga session, so we'll see if that sticks with me. But it makes me glad that I'm trying to do this, since I gave up on the water aerobics for now.
  • Maybe I shouldn't be happy about this one, since it's not a great story, but the end of it does amuse me. This story was in the paper recently, about a lawmaker whose outfit was photoshopped by a news station:
They tried to claim that the changes were made by "automation by Photoshop" and Adobe was like, oh honey, no we did not. When Adobe is countering your argument? I have to laugh.

  • Also liking: cardigans and zip-up sweatshirts... because they are easier to whip off* when I have a hot flash than over-the-head sweaters/sweatshirts...
*I am already so, so tired of taking layers off and putting them back on, again and again, words cannot express.
  •  ...and wool clothing, because it doesn't get soggy and smelly when I sweat (sorry, that sounds gross, but you know, here I am, keeping it real in hot flash city). I have a couple of Woolx shirts already, and just got another one (thank you, eBay, where they aren't cheap but aren't list price either). It hangs better on me than on the hanger, I do think.

A friend has also recommended the Wool& brand, so I'm looking into those as well. They're the ones who do the 100 Day Dress Challenge, if you've heard about that. I haven't yet dug deeply into how well they do on plus sizes; I see they have some, but maybe not much? At least in stock right now?

If you're thinking of wool as stiff and itchy, you need to check out what they can do now. Soft, light, and breathable. You also don't have to wash it every time you wear it, either, since it doesn't get all rumpled and doesn't smell bad. Try that with a cotton shirt in Florida. What I have found is: it's not cheap, but it can be worth it. I want to get some leggings, too. And maybe a nightshirt, as I've been sleeping in one of the shirts I have.

In my experience, it's easier to shop by brand than to look just for wool, in part because that will bring up everything with 5% wool, or that is described as "wooly" but not actually wool. (Also, word of warning on eBay, I'm seeing a lot of listings that say shipping from China.) So if you have any brands to recommend, let me know!

  • One last thing that's helping with menopause: I dug out a fan to use when, for example, I have a cat on a blanket on my lap and get a hot flash (which tests my love for Maggie on my lap, for sure). I bought this fan from a vendor at a market in Hawaii in 2006: she was sitting in the tent, weaving these and hats.

It has held up remarkably well. Very flexible, gives a good breeze.

What's making you happy today?

14 comments:

  1. Oh, the layers. I hear you, girlfriend. I go from cold to sweaty in no time flat. I had a friend who did that 100 day challenge and honestly, I think I would get super bored with just wearing the same clothes day in day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would get bored, too. I wear the same things over and over, but every day? Nah.

      Delete
  2. That's great that you're finding some helpful products. I love soaps and am always sniffing them, wanting to buy the ones I like. My boyfriend tries to keep me away from them since I already have way too many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to check out Woolx, as those kinds of things are great. For hiking and traveling, many people swear by merino wool, which, like you said, is not cheap, but it doesn't smell or stretch out etc. One brand you may like is Unbound Merino. Definitely costly, but from what I have heard, it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the creativity of that soap company! So smart and cuts down on their waste. Sustainability for the win.

    I like that Adobe defended their product, but wish they'd have gone farther and done some human photoshopping of the male outfits as an example. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, for sure. It makes me think of the story of the Australian news anchor who wore the same suit on air for a year, to point out how crazy it is that the women gets criticized on what they wear all the time and men don't, and no one noticed!

      Delete
  5. That soap is absolutely GORGEOUS. Such a happy thing, and I love that you found happy things to celebrate this week <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should do this more often: making myself look for the good things is a happy exercise.

      Delete
  6. Loved Nance's take on that photocheating! Sauce and geese and all that.

    I am sitting here on a cold very rainy day in California wearing two layers of sweaters bought for about $10 each on ebay--both cashmere. I find that people dry clean them, the drycleaning wrecks the softness, they ditch them. Then I handwash them--sometimes takes two goes to get there--and the softness is restored. I think the manufacturers just put dryclean only on the tags because they don't want returns when someone shrinks them who doesn't know what they're doing, and they don't want to say handwash in tepid water only with as little agitation as possible because water+temp change+agitation=felting (more so with merino wool, actually) for fear that people will then not want the work and not buy them. Whatever. I get the fails, and I'm very happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That soap looks amazing. In the samples, the "apple sage" and "raspberry ginger ale" sound great- but I'm suspicious that "happy hippie" somehow smell like patchoulie, which for some reason I have an aversion to.
    I like "Happy Things Friday!" Maybe we should all start doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a sniff and you're right, it smells like every hippie-themed store I went into in college. I don't exactly hate it, but it isn't my chosen scent, for sure!

      Delete
  8. Wool clothing is 100% my jam. I approve of looking for investment pieces - they'll last forever because you don't have to wash them all the time. I don't know how they do with plus sizes, but Icebreaker is another wool brand with good quality.

    ReplyDelete