Friday, July 28, 2023

One! Thing! Settled!

I mentioned the other day that the low tire pressure warning came on in my car*, so we've been using Mom's instead. And while I am super grateful that we had it as an option, I really don't like driving her car, which is, as a 2011, far less up to date on safety features than my 2019. 

*And when I looked at the tire the next day, it was obviously flatter, so not a small problem.

No one tells you that when you get a newer car, you will forget how to drive without a backup camera (how am I supposed to see what's behind me?) or smart cruise control (why isn't it slowing me down when the car in front of me slows down?), and that doesn't even get into that you really want your seat-cooling option in a hot Florida summer.

Ahem.

So. Today, with no appointments to drive to, and with plans to go into town tomorrow and Monday, was an ideal day to tackle this. Which, as the title above implies, did get done, but not without a few snags.

  • My mother mentioned that I could call "the guy" that she used recently when she had a flat, who was referred by our wonderful mechanic. Since I have had AAA for years, I was going to go with them, but I pulled out my card this morning and my membership had expired. How did I not renew it? I have no idea. At a guess, the envelope got put in the wrong place, and has been hiding, you know, for two months somewhere. I really can't put "figure that out" on today's list, so after a perfunctory look for it, I moved on.
  • I decided that I would call the mechanic and ask him if he could look at it this afternoon, once I had the guy come and put air in it, but when I called the mechanic, they're closed this week for vacation. Sigh.
  • However! I decided to call the guy anyway, and he came right over, yay, and immediately said, "Oh, you have a screw in your tire."

Well, I'll be damned, I sure do. He plugged it and filled the tire, checked the other tires and added a little air to them, and left a very happy customer behind.

So, lay it on me, your best "you must have a screw loose" or "time to stop screwing around" comments! And I will raise my Coke to you, at the end of this tremendous week, if my 'tremendous' you understand I mean "somehow more stressful than last week, when I was calling 911 to take my mother to the hospital."*

*She was dehydrated, basically.

4 comments:

  1. At least your car wasn't totally screwed up.
    Here's to better times ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man. We were in the middle of Iowa when we got a flat once. We switched to the donut in a gas station lot, but I didn't want to get back on the highway since we should only go 55 at the max, so we took country roads to get to my FIL's house. It was so dark and creepy and I was really glad my husband was with me!

    I'm happy it was something as simple as dehydration, but wow! What a crazy way to make sure we know our bodies are terrible. Feeling better vibes to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dehydration isn't the whole problem, it's just why she ended up in the hospital. They thought the awful back pain she had was a kidney infection, but in fact, it turns out she has a couple of compression fractures in her spine. Which, you know, OW.

      Delete