Wednesday, February 07, 2024

Planning and Keeping Track

When I recently re-posted a book review from last year, the only reason I remembered to do so was because I had put a note on my calendar for it. I primarily (more on that below) use the Google calendar, and while my methods are not foolproof, the way I use the calendar as a running to-do list keeps me on better track than I would be without it.

Google allows me to create different "calendars" (what I would call categories) for events. I mostly use the general one, but some of my others include:

I track my exercise, such as it is: this is my way of giving myself stars, but also it lets me look back and, for instance, see that I was going to so few water aerobics classes that the membership was really not worth the cost for me. In health & head, I track days when I have a headache (that's a whole post to itself!) or when I start a new medication, that kind of thing. LR is my mother, for her appointments and so on. I find having these color-coded helps me see what's happening at-a-glance.

I have some things set up as recurring events when they are really reminders to myself. Download my pay stubs or 401(k) statements, get a credit report*, back up the computer, that kind of thing. Change the water filter on the fridge--it's exciting stuff! Though sometimes it's more fun: since our local paper dropped a couple of comics I enjoyed**, I set up an entry with a link to go comics, and every day I go look at those, then move the reminder to the next day.

*In the US, at least, there are three credit reporting agencies, and you can get a free report from each of them once a year. So I have annual reminders set for each one, four months apart, so I can keep on top of it if something weird shows up.

**I read the Boston Globe first, then (parts of) the Washington Post, but there are three comics that were in the local paper only, that now are not. Thank you, go comics!

Then there are the things I want to get to at some point, so I'll stick a reminder on the calendar because, especially these days, if I don't write it down, it's doubtful I will remember later*. These might get done on the day I first put them, or they might get moved along until they do get done. Call Summit about the phone acting up; write up blog posts about my September trip to Key West; block a shawl. 

*Especially true if I am trapped with a cat on my lap. Frequently heard around here: "Damn it, what was that thought I had?"

There are also things that don't move, like when library books are due. I mean, I guess that moves once I've returned what's due that day and have books due on another day, but you know what I mean. 

As for other than Google, I generally have a to-do list of some sort going. Back in the day, when I worked out of the house, I would use this very basic template to keep an eye on my week and what I wanted to get done:

Things that needed doing at home (and specifically on the computer) or out, and room to note on the days of the week things that I planned. It worked for me, but became less necessary at some point, and I dropped it. 

A couple of years ago, Mom and I started using a magnetic weekly calendar to update each other on what was going on; we had a two-week rotation. I stopped using it when Mom fell last year, but then I needed something to keep myself on track, so I came up with this:

That way I could note which evenings I planned to visit Mom, etc., with the last square being for to-dos. I have actually kept using this since then; I sometimes think I should go back to the ones on the fridge, but eh. I haven't.

I also keep separate shopping lists: right now I have ones for Costco, Trader Joe's, and the grocery store. And sometimes if I'm going out and planning to do a bunch of errands, I'll make a list of those to take along, so I don't forget any.

Finally, I use my camera as a reminder all the time. If I want to look something up, or post about it on social media or here, I'll take a picture or grab a screen shot.

If you made it this far, congratulations, my fellow lover of minutia and the quotidian! Any questions?

11 comments:

  1. I use a paper calendar mostly which can be tricky when I'm not at my house to look at it. :) I also take photos of stuff that I need to remember, especially if there are lots of details. I say, whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started to use the online calendar after a few too many times when I would make an appointment when I was out, and have to call back and reschedule because I had a conflict.

      Delete
  2. I still love my Sierra Club annual engagement calendar, even if, like your friend Margaret above says, it's stuck back home when I'm not. I could use more organizing of clean-the-fridge type stuff; if I could pretend to myself it had a deadline... Actually, it does now, since my SIL just told us she'll be flying into town.

    I love that you have Trader Joe's in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so organized! I use a paper planner and it is always left open so I can see my week at a glance. I also have separate shopping list and it is a pet peeve of mine when one of the guys forgets to put something on the list, and then tells me when I GET HOME FROM SHOPPING that we are out of cheese, or something I don't eat so I don't realize we are out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make me crazy too, but I would be inclined to tell them, oh, too bad we won't have any of that item until the next time I grocery shop, then!

      Delete
  4. I am 100% paper - maybe to be disservice? I know digital has a lot of perks.

    I have a running list on my phone, but still prefer to write everything out on a piece of paper when I go to the grocery store, for example.

    I write a to-do list for each day as well. So I have lists of lists of lists and...kinda love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love the lists! I can get myself into trouble sometimes for not having the list I meant to have with me, but I haven't been able to convince myself to make everything digital so all I have to remember is my phone. There's something about paper.

      Delete
  5. I think we have a lot of similarities in how we use Google Calendar. I have a lot of recurring events on there - changing the furnace filter, taking out the trash, birthdays, ordering supplies for the pets, etc. - and it has my weekly schedule as well as my husband's. What I don't do well is things like scheduling my annual well check exam in advance or deep clean the fridge. Oh, well.

    Just this year in 2024 I have created a separate editorial calendar for my blog. Why didn't I do this last year when I posted every day? I don't know. I like to fly by the seat of my pants, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use more and more reminders on the calendar as time goes by. But whatever works for you works for you, is the point.

      Delete
  6. I use a hybrid approach but a lot of my appointments/events are on my Google calendar because it's just so much easier to pull up when I'm out and about. I would like to get better about using my paper planner in a much more useful way, though. Something I need to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use a hybrid approach. I can't let go of paper, but I am so in love with the perks of digital (reminders, being able to easily move things along or around!)

    ReplyDelete