Monday, November 21, 2022

Doing Some Holiday Prep

I ordered my Christmas cards last week, and I would like to strongly thank Last Year Me for that, because I had made a note on my calendar last year for this November, telling myself to order a photo card using a picture of Maggie from a specific date last December, which was very handy to be reminded of (because I had of course completely forgotten). I found a Groupon for cards from Staples, so instead of $30 for 25 cards, it was $12.50, which is a good enough deal for me. They turned out pretty well, I think; you'll see it here on Christmas Day, assuming I have them all mailed out by then. 

I've made a start on getting shopping for presents organized: I don't have a ton of people to shop for, but I do enjoy finding fun/cute/nice things for my loved ones. Lots of packages are incoming, which is kind of fun in itself.

Speaking of packages, I've used the Shop app to track packages for a while now, but lately it hasn't been as reliable. Sometimes a shipment will be listed twice, but other times it doesn't show up until the item is out for delivery. And now it's contradicting itself:

  • This morning one item showed in the summary as arriving November 25, but when I opened that order, it showed as out for delivery. Today is not the 25th.
  • Another said it was arriving today, but the locator shows it as most recently in Louisville, Kentucky, and it seems to me it should be scanned in Florida before it goes out for delivery. Wouldn't you think?

Shop has definitely become a provider of more general guidelines instead of absolute info.


Ah well. It's still somewhat helpful. Do you use it or anything like it for tracking things? I like to have the info (I love stalking packages), though I also use an analog method for tracking things I've ordered. I made a table in a Word document, so I can write in where I've ordered from, and then note when it shipped, who it's coming by, and the estimated delivery. (Yes, I am a data nerd.) I print a sheet of this out and hand-write on it.

A lot of the time, I don't need it (I mean, if I order one thing, it isn't going to slip my mind), but at this time of year, it can help me keep straight what's come and what hasn't yet.

Whether you are all done or not even started with holiday prep, I hope you're hanging in there--it's all we can do, sometimes. Be easy on yourself.

3 comments:

  1. I'm lucky: all of my grandkids are at the Legos stage (those are in a far different universe from the plain rectangle or square, red, yellow, blue or green blocks in two sizes of my childhood) and Legos has a pre-Black Friday sale every year where they throw a few freebies at you. One pricey order and the kids, ages 3-almost 12, are done.

    Note that my daughter-in-law had some pretty fancy fishing equipment on her Amazon wish list last year. She goes fishing?? I decided I'd better check on that one before even thinking about it. Turns out their toddler had been banging away on her computer while her back was turned and now they knew what he'd done while he was doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great deal on the cards! I love a good deal and that is just fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so on the ball! Congrats about getting cards ordered and getting such a great deal. Ordering cards is on my list for things to do this week, but I'm not thrilled with any of our photo options, so I've been procrastinating on it. I will get it done by the end of the week!

    ReplyDelete