Friday, January 30, 2009

Toffee Bars, step by step by step

Just as an aside (can you start with an aside? oh, why not), can you believe I've published more than 600 posts? For some reason that sounds like a lot to me. Even though it's over almost two and a half years ... still, 600? (Also, I'm using 48% of my photo memory. So I guess in 2011, I'll be moving the blog elsewhere, as I cannot fathom blogging without photos.)

Anyway. I am going to pretend to be Ree tonight and show you how I made the toffee bars, although the first link in yesterday's post will take you to Maggie's version. Not only is this a simple recipe, my photos did not turn out as well as hers always do ... but I took them and I will share them, by gum.

Start by turning the oven to 400. While it heats up, throw a stick of butter (this is a half recipe) into a pot (or pan). Melt it:


Add half a cup of brown sugar. (I used light, because that's what I had, but I expect dark would be fine if that's what you have. In fact, I wonder if it would be better? Hmm. I used up the last of mine, so I'll buy dark and next time, we'll see.) Stir occasionally.

While the butter and sugar are making friends, line an 8x8 pan with tin foil (13x9 for the full recipe) and put in a layer of graham crackers. If you get bored, being obsessive about filling every single corner can be fun!


Once the butter-sugar mixture is boiling, and seems as mixed as it's going to get (this is how I did it, anyway), pour it over the grahams.

Doesn't look like much, does it?


Put it in the oven for 5 minutes.

It looks about the same, doesn't it?


We just have to assume it's a key step.

Next, sprinkle chocolate chips over the top. (I used semi-sweet because that's what I had; apparently the person who told Maggie about it recommended milk. All chocolate is good, right?)

The first time* I made it, I covered the top with the chips. This made the balance a bit disproportionate, in my opinion, so I used a bit less this time.

*Yes I am making it again. Only for you!


It doesn't look like enough, but I think it will be. (I will report back, if it's ever ready, tick tick tick.)

Next, having turned the oven off, I popped the pan back in to hasten the chocolate-melting process.


I kept it in for five minutes, removed it and smoothed the chocolate around, then popped it back in for another two minutes, as it wasn't quite smooth. A little more smoothing, and into the fridge to harden.


Now, while I wait, I throw you a cat-photo to reward you for getting this far.

Why, yes, I am just that cute.

2 comments:

  1. Ree better watch out, she's going to be limited to MM and The Lodge pretty soon if you keep on cooking ;->

    ReplyDelete
  2. got a $20 flickr account and use it to store photos now, since it's cheaper than using up storage space with my blog host, Wordpress. Works great so far!

    I WILL be making those toffee bars....

    ReplyDelete