Saturday, March 31, 2007

Decrepit

Yes, decrepit. And yes, I mean me.

Considering that I still don't feel like a grown-up, it's a little rich that my body is now falling apart. In the last year, I have moved completely out of low-maintenance health and into which doctor are you now? I can't help feeling that 38 is a little young for this. And my mother, who is generally the very soul of sympathy when I want to whine, tells me to "just wait".

What? Why do I want to think about what's coming? I don't like where I am now. Are you trying to depress me? I'm not looking for pragmatism (when do I ever?). Really, everyone older than I am is singing the same song, and I don't want to hear it. Hush, people. The best conversation I've had on this topic was with someone my age, who's going through the same thing, and was there for me. Amen, sister! Let's focus on the depression of today's situation, not the misery coming tomorrow.

  • I have what I want to call a regular doctor, a GP as they used to say, PCP today, my "primary care".
  • I have a GYN.
  • I have a dentist (though I may switch to one closer to the new home, I haven't yet).
  • An eye doctor (got glasses at age 7, though I wear contacts now).
  • I'm seeing a neurologist for the migraines.
  • I'm seeing a dermatologist for treatment of plantar warts (nice, eh?).
  • I have seasonal allergies: I'm trying to avoid adding an allergist to the list for now, but it may have to happen. (I saw an allergist a few years ago, after I moved back to MA and found that I was not, sadly, only allergic to NC. That doctor was, sadly, an asshole*, and I won't go back to him, though if need be I'll find another allergist.)
  • I have arthritis, ditto. (I did see a rheumatologist a few years ago, too, but she didn't impress me very much, so I never went back. Something about the way she said, "Uh-huh, yes," to every sentence of mine, while never making eye contact, didn't convince me she was listening.)

*He was contemptuous that another doctor had prescribed something without running the full boat of tests, and would not give me a refill without doing those tests (which I actually felt was within his rights, though I could have dealt without the attitude). He failed to mention that the tests cost $3000, so even with my insurance covering 80%, I was surprised by a not inconsiderable bill. He was a charmer.

And now the latest. I had a slight toothache yesterday morning, not too bad, but increased from the day before, and given that it was Friday, I figured that I'd better get it looked at, or I'd be sorry over the weekend. I threw myself on the mercy of the dentist's office, they fit me in, and they are referring me to an endodontist for a consult. I may need a root canal.

A root canal. And I thought last year's crown was no fun.

And the endodontist makes 7, not counting the two I'm avoiding adding to the list at the moment. I'm not trying to get into a contest (Mum, I know I'd lose, but you have a head start!), just saying my goodness, when did this happen? What happened to the days when I had a doctor and a dentist and I went to the doctor once a year and the dentist twice and got check-ups and that was it? Well, and the eye doctor for new prescriptions, but still. More doctors and more serious conditions and thanks to everyone, knowing that more is to come, yuck.

I'll try to cheer up again next time. But sometimes a girl just needs to kvetch, and that's what blogs are for.

2 comments:

  1. That does not sound fun at ALL.. I'm nursing about the worst migraine in history at the moment, so I definitely sympathize. Speaking of which.. lying down would be good..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I won't add any details, being as I'm older, just...it sucks meteorites, dunnit? ::passes the virtual chocolate::

    Although ok, one hopefully cheering bit. I had my first-ever root canal several years ago, and it was a seriously bad one, with a brand-new but really good dentist on the same day I flew out for my first fan convention - and did not end up thinking I was going to die from pain. I was amazed, because I'm really, really sensitive to tooth and dental-work pain. (Which I made sure to tell him. He kept checking on how I was all through it.) And as you know, I also get migraines; the root canal was on the same side as the those, worse luck. But it was a helluva lot less painful/stressful that I thought it was going to be, both during and after. So hope you get lucky too. I'll send good vibes!

    ReplyDelete