Wednesday, March 21, 2007

New York me, New York me not

When I was a kid, I used to go to New York City frequently to visit a friend. I remember her declaring once that she knew New York like the back of her hand, and to prove it, she closed her eyes and described the back of her hand. (We were kids, we found this extremely funny.) The point is, whenever I've gone to New York, I haven't had to do much or any of the navigating. And I think that's why I've been edgy on the preparation for this trip.

Not that I'll have to do a lot of getting around this trip. But I have to do some! And some is, to state the obvious, more than none. I've actually only been to NYC twice as an adult. Once, when my cousins got married in 2002, involved travelling with my aunt, and moving around at all times with various family members or groups. The other, three years ago, was for the headstone unveiling of my aunt on the other side of the family, and although I travelled alone that time (ooh, train and taxi solos), otherwise I was with my parents the whole time, and didn't have to figure out a thing: where anything was, how to get there, how to pay for, nothing.

Contrast that with London, as I mentioned in my last post. I first went there at 17, and although I haven't been in years, for a while in the college and post-college years, I went several times. I got comfortable with getting around, figuring out the map and the money and the Underground. The first time was hugely scary, yes, and I almost cried with relief to see the familiar face of McDonald's*, but from the beginning, I had to learn it, and I did, so I'm okay with it now. I've never had to learn NYC, and even though I share a currency and language, it almost feels more foreign to me.

* I took a picture of it, I was so happy. Then I went in and was baffled to have to pay for ketchup. Some things are different even in places that look the same.

I never said this explanation would make sense to anyone but me, did I?

I also noticed (in the shower this morning, home of the profound thoughts) some interesting parallels between this trip and the sock knitting. They're both things that I:
  • want to do, chose to do
  • am not enjoying 100% (yet, anyway)
  • will probably (hopefully) enjoy the result though
Pan thinks I should leave the computer now and make a lap. I think I should pack. We'll probably compromise: some lap, then pack, then maybe more lap. He can never get enough ... lap hog.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I know just what you mean! When I first moved to Seattle it all seemed terribly foreign and harder to maneuver than the places I lived in Europe. Go figure. Hang with the socks, though. I hated the first pair I made, and I didn't adore the second...so I stopped for awhile. Then I tried again and can't stop. Hm. That's maybe not so good, becoming obsessed I mean. I'll have to think on this one....= )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, at least you aren't having to drive, right? [g] When I was traveling more, it was a heckuva lot more complicated to get around a new city by driving than bus or cab. You usually end up getting a tour of the more seamy areas, quite involuntarily, no matter how good the directions/maps. (Ms. K., I've never been to Europe, but I agree on Seattle being hard to maneuver in. It's a problem just getting through it on I-5 when heading up to Vancouver BC, because of that one interchange in the middle with like 3 levels, which gives you umpteen choices that sound like they all go the same place - but don't! Or used to, at least.) But hey, this trip to NY, ccr, you've at least got other knitters to hook up with. And some will be natives, others will be in the same boat you are, so either way you have company, right?

    Socks... You guys will note I've started a couple pairs but haven't finished any yet. But I'm still plugging away - sporadically - and I know I'm hooked, even without any FO's to show off. Yet. ;) And Stephanie signs her books with, "Obsession is normal." Sounds like a plan to me.

    Have fun, ccr, and hope you have the energy for a long post when you get back. Or a short one. Anything. We're easy to please.

    ReplyDelete