Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Pre-Represent

Stephanie's post yesterday, full of nerves about Represent, included this line: "I am just waiting now to get a huge and obvious pimple on my forehead to round out my dread."

Worry no more, Steph: I've got you covered. I'm your wingman. Guess what I woke up with this morning?

Sigh. Thank god for bangs.

I don't know what I'm nervous about. I don't have to speak in front of 750 people. (Good thing, too. I can get nervous just speaking to my department, all ten perfectly nice, friendly women, on a topic I'm comfortable with. Not scared, but edgy. Tense.) I just don't handle going outside my comfort zone well, even for things I want to do, choose to do. Going places I haven't been, no matter how much I research ahead, involves an element of uncertainty that clenches my stomach. Then add subway and New York and, well, we have zits. I don't know what it is about New York City that makes me more nervous than, say, London, but there you are. One's anxieties are, by definition, rarely rational.

So it's Tuesday night, and I leave Thursday morning. Jeepers, I need to do a bunch of stuff before then! No long, musing post tonight, I'm afraid. The most I can do is let you in on the enthralling decision that after considering my propensity for messiness, I decided that although I'm only wearing/bringing the one pair of jeans, I'll bring a pair of sweatpants as part of my soi-disant nightwear, and make sure it's a pair I could wear in public if the worst happens. I don't think I can count on passing even a short period of time without either spilling or sitting in something, but I hate to bring another pair of jeans with me for just an overnight. Aren't you glad I shared that?

By the way, I did go to Stitch-n-Bitch tonight, and moved along on the sock. It's progressing nicely: I'm at the heel gusset, and not ill pleased. That said, I think the reason I'm not feeling the sock-knitting love is that I'm so much more a process knitter, and I'm not into this process, nor do I see myself relaxing into it anytime soon. Still, I don't hate it, so I'll keep with it for now. For now. We'll see!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh I'm jealous :) Have a blast at the represent event - and better a pimple now than later - maybe it'll be gone by then :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drat! I never got to the "flat me" (got a personal giggle out of that visual) so I could represent with you in effigy form. Maybe a hand-drawn stick figure would suffice?

    Be brave. Conquor your zit demons and know your adventure has an audience cheering you on and wishing they were there as well.
    ~kali

    ReplyDelete
  3. New York wigs me out, too. I love it, but it wigs me.

    Have a blast. In fact, have two. Never hurts to have an extra.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe if you try keeping in mind that no one will be looking at you, they'll all be looking at Stephanie? Or everyone's knitting? Yeah, I know; doesn't help. Whatthehell, have fun anyway. Everyone keeps telling us this is New York, no one notices anything weird! [g]

    If all else fails, keep muttering to self, "At least I'm not Monica." 'Cause I've sworn my entire life I'd never, ever get dragged to New York City, because I'd freak. (Well, the east coast, actually, but I have a feeling that may change this year. Dammit.) Major panic attack. In public. Screaming horrors at the very thought of all those people. See? You, on the other hand, will have fun once you get over the worry of getting there! And hey, at least you don't have to remember to take your passport. ;)

    ReplyDelete