Sunday, March 25, 2007

Yarn Hangover: Represent, Part 2

Initially, I wasn't wild about the planning that had this event on a Thursday night, of all days of the week, but I must say that having the weekend to recover from the excitement is turning out to be very good. Whew! I live a quiet life, normally.

So, back to New York, Thursday. I didn't take notes during the speech, so I can't give you quotes or anything, and if you're going to hear her later in the tour, I wouldn't want to step on her cape anyway. It's good, and I'll leave it at that. About the size of the crowd, she had said that the hall held 750, right? It wasn't completely full, not every seat, but mostly full. I would totally guesstimate between 600-650, but don't get mad at me if you disagree, okay? I know there were empty seats, I was next to one (Kali, that was yours), but I'm not going to argue about the number if you think there were more or less. (In web-wandering this weekend, I've seen myself on not one but two other blogs at this event. Why does that give me such a thrill? But honestly, what are the odds that other bloggers who were near me and took photos and posted them would be the bloggers I found? Of course, Stephanie did ask for a show of hands as to how many of us read blogs [most], then how many of us had our own blogs, and it was a lot, so maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. But I still am!)

And some people came from so far away, it makes Boston looks like a flea's jump! Like the woman from San Antonio who said her husband surprised her with the trip, her first to NYC, he stayed home with the baby, and she was having a wonderful time.

Or the one from London, they were already planning a trip but came in a day early to be there to Represent.

I think Lucerne would be the farthest away, right (geography, anyone?), but Stephanie was also wowed by the woman who took the red-eye from San Francisco with her baby (she kept saying, "with a baby?"). I think you'll see him on the blog, he got his picture taken with the sock. He was so cute when Stephanie showed him the picture on the back of the camera: he was delighted to see himself.

That was after the talk was over, of course. I went up thinking I might say hi, without anything in particular to say, but there were a bunch of people there, and I didn't get the chance. I did manage to slip my blog-card to Jayme, so Stephanie may have seen that, but it's all right if she didn't, I was there and that was enough. I can even prove it, of course.

That's Jayme-the-wonder-publicist on the left. Can you believe they were looking the other way? :)

Some other housekeeping details, like the pin we got coming in:


and the yarn for making the blanket square. Soy yarn, a new one on me, it's really nice! It was good to work with, pretty, worked up nicely: I like it! Thank you, Yarn Council of America. This is a better-lit photo than the one of the finished square in the previous post:

Once Jayme had bustled Stephanie away, I watched the knitters drifting off in ones and twos and groups, and thought about doing something else, but I could feel two things in myself: adrenaline, and weariness. I was still feeling the high of the former, but I could tell that it was wearing off, and I knew that I'd better be well on my way to my cousins' place before the latter took over: you know, me, NYC, subway, etc.

When I went outside, I found it was lightly raining, so I didn't even do the trawling around the area for a light dinner that I'd been thinking of, but headed back to Penn to pick up the subway. This being New York, of course, I was able to buy a fabulous sandwich (fresh mozzarella, roasted pepper, basil, and tomato on good bread), around maybe 9pm on a weeknight in a train station, with a yummy juice too (with strawberries, guavas, apples, orange, peach, and mango). Just what I needed.

Maybe I'll still leave Friday for later or tomorrow. Writing with a cat across the keyboard has its challenges. We could go watch the Bruins lose (it's a matinee day) and come back later.

4 comments:

  1. And the wonderfulness continues. ;) Good grief, on a red-eye with a baby? I'm with Steph, LOL. Love this batch of pictures too - do you happen to remember what the heck Stephanie's T-shirt said? I'm mightily intrigued by 'yarn' and 'belong to us'. (Ok, 'satiably curious.) That's a great pic of her and Jayme-the-wonder-publicist. Glad you got a chance to give Jayme your card, I'll bet Steph will love it. And wowsa does that yarn look magnificent. I'm dying to get some now! The pin is great; I giggled.

    Sounds like you made a good decision after the talk. Adrenaline highs are fun, but man, when you hit that wall, the last place you want to be is still out traveling at night! Kinda drags down the whole afterglow. Looking forward to the rest whenever; the boys need their make-up laptime. ;) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the account of the whole trip! You inspire me to try to get out and do more knitting things. It sure sounds like fun.

    Coincidentally, I bought some of the new SWS not too long ago. I have not knitted with it yet, but even in the skein it is beautiful. I've got the black and purple color.

    I am so impressed with you for having a solo adventure -- one that was so fun!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your well wishes! Sounds like you had a WAY better weekend than I did--LOL! I love the SWS yarn. I bought one little skein one time to try making a felted basket, and have bought MANY more since that first one. It is so soft, and if you are into felting, it felts up really great, too! :)

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great recap! You did a great job! I got here via Harlot, other commenters are saying that you gave a nice recap. Just so you know. Thanks I'll come back.

    ReplyDelete