Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Evil twins

I was going to do a book post today, but the Bruins game last night got me pondering hockey instead (there's knitting after, if you're patient, or if you jump ahead). In case you're not following them (doesn't everyone, ha ha), after losing their last five games, they beat Ottawa.

Ottawa, who came into last night's game having lost only one of their previous 21 games in regulation.

(That's really good, by the way, really good.)

And the Bruins, who have been really bad (when they weren't pretty good), beat them, in regulation. It just doesn't make sense.

But this morning, I think I figured it out (in the shower, whence all deep thoughts come). Evil twins.

The whole team must have evil twins, involved in some complex plot for some nefarious purpose that requires really bad hockey.

I can't imagine why, but obviously I don't have that kind of mind. What matters is the result: you just never know which team is going to show up, the good Bruins or the evil Bruins. The team that can beat the Red Wings or Ottawa, or the team that scores 4 goals, total, in 5 games, while going 0-for-whatever on the power play.

It explains a lot.

It is also just possible that the new medication we're trying for my migraines is making me ever so slightly loopy. Do you think?

It's certainly making me tired, which is not an area of my life I need any help with. I'm a snooze-button-presser by nature, but usually no more than 5 or 10 minutes. Monday morning, it was half an hour before I got up. It was also the first morning after I started this medication. Coincidence? I think not.

At any rate, I said knitting, and knitting you shall have. I started to rip out the trial tube last night, so I can reuse the soy yarn, and when I got to the knot, I undid it, feeling no need to knit that way again. By then, I had ripped past the purled-by-mistake stitches, so you can better see what the tube looks like. Before opening:


After:


Neat, eh? Like I said, knitting is magic. I'm doing much-needed laundry tonight, and I need to do dishes (reeeaally need to, like get away from the computer NOW), having blogged and blogged on Monday, and stitch-and-bitched and talked to Mom and watched hockey (and blogged) on Tuesday, but maybe tomorrow I'll start the hat with the soy? We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. That's not fair. You posted the tube again just to tease me because I can't do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must admit, I get a lot of my life clarification in the shower and in the car commuting to and from wherever. I also do a lot of planning and scheduling there, where I can actually *do* NOTHING about anything...which may explain a lot...and why I love hydrotherapy and bubble baths, and long showers, and how I survive commuting of any length.

    Unlike the Bruins, I know I do not have a evil twin. I have an inner brat who is stubborn, wholly self-centered, and lazy. She wins far more contests of wills than I care to admit to. She (I call her Elsa and she is about 9 years old) persists in hitting the snooze button multiple times, drags me over to the vending machine at work for treats I neither need or (honestly) want, and convinces me to stay up far later that I should on a work night.

    She also hates the kitchner stitch and is directly responsible for not finishing the beaded scarf for the auction at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to taunt you with the tube!

    How are you having trouble with it? Are you doing what I did, and purling the second stitch instead of slipping as if to purl, or are you having your own issue?

    Kali, my inner brat is always hungry and always sleepy too! She doesn't seem to be connected to my physical body at all, but somehow she gets her way a lot.

    ReplyDelete