Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The bad news

The bad news is, I don't think I'm sick.

That may not sound like bad news at first, but think about it: when you get sick, that's usually followed, eventually, by getting well. I've felt rotten all week, and if it's allergies, that's not likely to just stop.

Allergy season starting up means the beginning of misery, with the end so far away as to be meaningless. And you can't call in sick for allergies, not for long, not without losing your job. I am having one unhappy week.

Wretched. Pitiful. Vile. Dragging.

I'm going to have to be careful, actually. It's got me in such a monumentally bad mood, I'm no joy to be around--I mean, I can tell--and I can also tell how short-tempered it's making me, so I have to control myself. Quelling the urge to kvetch is hard, and stifling the urge to snap at people for doing things like rustling papers or eating celery (which, it's a well-known fact, gets louder and more annoying the worse your mood is) or asking how I am isn't easy either. Let alone those who have the nerve to give me work (um, as if I'd be happier with nothing to do? Of course not! This mood is not rational). If you're reading this, and I've gotten on your nerves recently, I'm sorry. I'm getting on my own nerves, too, if that's any consolation (I know, probably not so much).

I felt bad Monday, so I went to bed early Monday night, got nine good solid hours of sleep, and woke up feeling just as bad, if not worse. I felt bad enough Tuesday afternoon that I went out on my break to buy something (anything!) at the drugstore (plus some chocolate for the Mood). And the semi-good news is that it's helping, somewhat: Benadryl Allergy & Sinus Headache (well, CVS brand). It calms my faucet/nose down, and tames the sneezing, and relieves most of the head pressure and general bleagh (you know how it goes: you don't realize how much it's helping until it wears off, then wow, rock bottom and you have to wait for it to kick back in).

The reason that's only semi-good news is simply because it also makes me as loopy as a kite on a windy day, which is a bit of a problem. At least I think that's a problem. Isn't it? Surely? Plus I can't keep taking it indefinitely. But it is making the short term bearable at least.

In the long term? Well, they're forecasting snow this weekend. Maybe that will kill the little beasties in the air that are tormenting me so. Snow must be good for something, right? Other than annoying me? I mean, it was 70 today, how can it snow on Friday? What is with this climate?

Oh, you want something other than whining? And you've made it this far? Well, you deserve a reward! Look, such cute cats! This is the babies being Good Boys during the last storm, snuggling together and letting me get some work done at home so I could go in to work later. Considering that Harold doesn't generally let me finish my breakfast without requesting lap time, that really is a miracle.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, those allergies are MISERABLE. (Like you don't know that, right?) Get thee to an allergist, Girl. I swear--mine helped me a ton. A TON. And you're totally entitled to at least a week of whining. It takes about a day of stuffy nose to get me to whine mode...a week is certainly good enough reason! Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete