Sunday, March 18, 2007

All I can say is, Oy

Can I tell you how glad I am that I went out with friends last night?

I never really considered staying in to watch the Bruins game. I considered staying home because of the storm we had Friday: would the roads be bad, would things freeze over? But I heard that things were pretty clear, and it seemed that even the side streets around me were pretty good, and I went out early in the day and, in two shifts, cleared off and around my car (they plow the driveway but not around my car, I mean really, how slack, right?), so I decided what the heck. I did in fact drive with a friend, but more for the fun of it, for companionship (and direction confirmation) than for safety. And I had a really good time (more on that in a moment).

But honestly. On the way home, I turned on the radio to check the score, and my heart sank. Seven to nothing? Have they no pride? I mean, forget making the playoffs: even the Globe coverage is now making the point that they don't deserve to. Don't they have any pride in their play, in their team, in the history of the franchise? Is it all just talk? How can this happen? Seven to nothing? Nothing? Zero? Who was in goal for New York, Jacques Plante? No, I don't think so. That is beyond sad, beyond pathetic. There is, quite simply, no excuse for that. So I think there's nothing more to say.

Meanwhile, I had a really good time with my friends last night. In addition to the usual catching up, there was good news all over: one couple is buying a house, and she's going back to school and very excited about it, and two pregnancies were announced, so you know I'm going to be doing some knitting this summer! I'm smiling just thinking about it. Sometimes life can be horrible to you or to your friends, but sometimes it just sends wonderful things, and all you can do is let gratitude fill your heart. I bitch enough about even minor woes (hey, see above), but I do really give thanks for the good stuff, I do.

In knitting, I'm still working on the sock, and although I hit a slight snag (where the pattern says at this point I should have 18 stitches on that needle and, well, I have 19), I'm not losing heart. It just takes so much concentration, I'm not sure I'm going to be a true sock convert. Which is okay. I'm going to finish this pair, and we'll see. I'm also working on the Ruffles scarf for the charity auction at work, and on the hat-for-charity that I'm bringing to the Yarn Harlot's Represent Event. I started it Friday night and it's almost done, love hats! Maybe I'm just meant to be a hat knitter, not a sock knitter.

Anyway, Represent is this week! I leave Thursday, getting to NY around 4, Amtrak willing, so I won't be there in time for the sock picture in Central Park, which is too bad but oh well, life is imperfect (to quote The Breakfast Club, "Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place."). I look forward to seeing that picture. Anyway, what I'm really going for, other than to stand up and be counted, is to hear Stephanie talk, as I understand she's a really fun speaker, and that I will be in plenty of time for. I may check out the The Subversive Lace and Radical Knitting Exhibit before, if I have time, but I'll leave that open. Then I go to spend the night with my cousins, and the next day too, which will be great, as I don't see them nearly enough, before train-ing back to MA. Whew! I think I'll pass on yarn-crawl activities, for several reasons, including that I'm not short of great yarn stores around here, plus the budget doesn't allow for too much craziness and the temptation would be great. Though my moral fiber may not hold out against the actual fiber temptation in the end; we'll see.

As for today, I've finished laundry (lotsa laundry), and now I feel the couch calling me. I got Howl's Moving Castle out of the library to watch again, and I think I will. Also got Holiday with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn, but I finished that earlier this week. Great movie, how had I never seen it before?

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're working on a hat. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hat. Right. Work on hat. And flat Kali. Sleep might also be a good idea at this point. Hubbie is off to Chicago in 4 hours. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete