Saturday, March 03, 2007

Knitting, believe it or not

You wouldn't know it by reading here, but I have been knitting recently. In fact, I've joined an SnB that started in a nearby town, and have been enjoying getting to know these women (and so far, it is only women) and being social in a small way that's a pretty big step for my stay-at-home self. So yes, I've been knitting. Since I finished the neckwarmer scarf that goes with my wristwarmers, I've been working on another Ruffles scarf, this one for an auction they're having at work, to raise money for breast cancer research. It's going well, and I was enjoying it at first, but I could feel myself getting twitchy, and that I needed a break from it.

A while ago, I bought some sock yarn for when I was ready to try again, and I thought that maybe it was time for it to stop being pet yarn and move into use. Since I had fit issues the first time I made socks, I took the drastic step of making a gauge swatch, and found that it was a wee bit larger than it should be, just a little bigger, but that can really make a difference in how the socks fit, right? So I got the next size down needles, oh boy, and cast on, and so far so good. There isn't much to see yet, but I'll photograph it later on, when it looks a little more sock-like. It's certainly a nice break!

In cat news, Pan again has been having one of those mornings. Me-ow! He napped on my lap for a while earlier, chose to get down, then glared at Harold when Harold took the vacancy. Later, he chased Harold so violently that I intervened and held onto him to cool him down. Generally their play-fights seem mutual, but today, I really felt like Pan attacked and Harold was trying repeatedly to get away. So Pan went back to Me-ow! Me-ow! (Apparently sometimes the doors are meow-activated.) I called him in here and took him up onto the lap, and he has been trying to settle down between me and the keyboard. He really wishes I would stop wiggling! He moved a few times until he found the position where my hands moving disturbs him the least, but you can tell he'd like me to just quit it, really. He's on the table, his back against my chest, tush against my left forearm, tail by the wrist protector, and head on my right forearm. Comfy, but with alert ears. And god forbid I need the mouse, which will require moving the right arm out from under him. I'm about to become very unpopular. (I managed to reach the mouse with my left hand and move it across so I can mouse lefty to post. He's interested, but not disturbed. And, yes, he's spoiled, absolutely.)

No comments:

Post a Comment