Monday, January 22, 2024

The Difference Between Liking Knitting and LOVING Knitting

When I wrote about the trip to the yarn store earlier this month, I did show the project I was working on, but I haven't written much, recently at least, about the project itself, and specifically, how much I loved working on it. That is, I did mention it back in mid-December, but who remembers that? (Not me, without searching for it.) Suffice it to say that I really loved working on it. Really-really.

One night at knitting group, I spread it out to see:

Another day, working on it through a meeting (that had nothing to do with my specific job, so I was listening but didn't need to pay heavy attention).
Just so pretty! I was weighing the yarn toward the end, to make sure I would have enough left for the second edging repeat and the bind-off, and the pinkish yarn you see there is where I put in a lifeline in case my calculations were wrong.
Happily, they were not, and I bound the shawl off and laid it out before blocking. Those matts are 2 feet wide, so it was maybe 3 feet wide as laid out here.
Then it went for a soak!
And got pinned out! Four-plus feet now.

And spread out off the matts.


It's so lovely, and I'm so happy with it. The one thing I would change is to have started with the blue end, instead of the red, because I had a small amount of blue yarn left and hate to not have used it. But that's okay. Live and learn. That's just one small piece of a project that I otherwise really loved--not just the end result, not just the yarn, not just that I was knitting, but specifically knitting exactly this pattern.

I loved the pattern so much, in fact, that I got another by the designer, Nim Teasdale, this one called Illumine. I have another long-color-change yarn, from Wendy's Wonders, and I wound it up to use.


A different rainbow this time!


It's growing along and I am just as happy with it. 

So far, so purple.


I picked it up the other day and was amused to watch it twisting on the needle like this:

So, on it goes, happily. 

11 comments:

  1. Wow, that is so pretty! I really love the bright colors. My aunt is a knitter and I have many a bright and happy beanie and I love them. I did not really get the creative gene, but I can make a unicolor scarf! I can't wait to see what the new yarn turns out to look like when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My grandmother taught me to knit when I was a kid, and my mother likes to say that the gene skips a generation.

      Delete
  2. That is beautiful! I'm very impressed; not knowing how to knit makes it complete magic to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is magic, even to a knitter! You start out with sticks and string, and look what happens.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous. I can't knit (or really do any hand work) and this is just stunning and makes me want to learn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so very satisfying! (Also madly frustrating when things go wrong, but eh, what doesn't have ups and downs?)

      Delete
  4. I love working with gradient yarn (esp for shawls and scarves). So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous shawl. I'm trying to imagine its gradient reversed, and I think it would have given it an entirely different character, sort of like a gas flame effect.

    The new one you're knitting is lovely as well. Knitting really is its own form of magic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I tried to picture it the other way, but I can't really "see" it, though of course I'm sure it would have been beautiful that way, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! That is just so happy-making!

    ReplyDelete