Friday, October 06, 2023

Silver Linings

In the spirit of Elisabeth's Happy Things Friday, I'll try to look on the bright side of now. How will I do?

  • I visited Mom last night; the place she is now is an inpatient rehab hospital, not a skilled nursing facility, and the important difference is that instead of an hour of PT a day, she'll get three! So she shouldn't have to stay nearly as long as at the last place, and should make much more progress in a shorter time. Hopefully, anyway. She likes it better than the first one, too; the food is better, she says, and the people have been very nice. (To be clear: at the SNF, some of the people were nice--but not all, she says.)
  • My birthday is next week, and I got my first birthday card in the mail yesterday. I truly don't care when anything comes--celebrate me all month!--but it's nice to get a fun card, isn't it?
  • Then a gift arrived in the mail today. Technically, it's a "sympathy for your stress these days" gift, and not strictly a birthday gift, but tomayto, tomahto. Or in this case, carmelcorn:
  • Also in the mail today is a present I got for myself. No, not yarn (after my wild August yarn shopping, I only bought yarn once in September, good heavens), but it is knitting-adjacent! (Who's surprised?)
(I'll blog more details on it separately, but the link is here and I read about it in Knitty, here.)
  • My mother and I will have our my-birthday-out-treat-dinner once she's back on her feet, but in the meantime, I'm having lunch with friends on Monday, so I'll have that on the day itself.
  • And on Sunday, I'm "attending" a Zoom yarn chat by the author of a new yarn-stash book, Marie Greene, so that's fun, too.
  • How out of date am I with updating my knitting on here? I finally, finally finished the Comodo sweater I've been working on for months, yay. It isn't blocked yet, but a friend down here invited me over to try steaming it. It doesn't need a ton of stretching, or anything, but I'd like to even it out a little. (Though the tonal qualities of the yarn do hide unevenness pretty well.)


While not undoing the way the edges curl, because I love that!
  • I also finished another project, the Close to You shawl that I started in the spring of 2022 (mentioned here), which got put aside at some point, but I picked up to be my trip knitting to Key West. Before blocking:
And after. It grew!

  • Finally, I unpacked a few things I got in Key West, and when I went to photograph this coaster, it was near some yarn that really accentuated it:

Pretty! 

Well, Elisabeth was right, it helps to look for happy things. I recommend it.

11 comments:

  1. Ooh, Happy Birthday (tomorrow, if I read that correctly!) I agree- it's never too early for cards and gifts. I hope you and your mom both have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Such good news about your mom, too - I'm glad she's in a good place now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday. And cheers to Happy Things <3 It made my day to see you had made your own list.

    Isn't colour just such a gift to humanity! I love all the colours in this post. It makes my heart happy (even if I can't sew or knit or do any of the glorious handiwork you do).

    And a hearty yes to carmelcorn. So good. So addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! May you have many more Happy Things to look forward to.

    Love your sweater. I, too, use steam for much of my blocking, especially shawls. And I like the curling edges of that gorgeous sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your sweater and the projects in progress! And yay for an upcoming birthday and all the fun well wishes and surprises!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make me miss knitting! The sweater and shawl are so pretty. And yay for birthday mail! It is so nice to get something fun in the mail for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! So many good things - I'm glad your mom is doing better and also, that sweater is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those flamingoes are hoping for matching sweaters out of that yarn. Your shawl and sweater are gorgeous! And so are those yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all! (I am so behind on blog comments, sorry.)

    ReplyDelete