Monday, June 26, 2023

Tarragon; Pool Reno; Women's Clothing Sizing

Tarragon, Anyone?

My mother recently made a batch of tuna tarragon salad, from a recipe that a neighbor gave us (it's yummy), and mentioned that we now have more tarragon than we will use before it gets stale, so I offered to ask y'all if anyone has a recipe that they enjoy that uses tarragon. She thought that was a great idea, and added that if anyone uses a lot of tarragon, she would be happy to send you half the amount she just bought. So, hit me up: tarragon! Do you use it? In what? Want some? 

Oh, the Noise

Meanwhile, I often say that they key to happiness is low expectations--that way, when something goes better than you expected, it's a pleasant surprise, instead of the other way around.

Also, I would like to state for the record that I do understand, I really do, that timelines shift and plans change when having repair/remodeling/fixing-up work done. It's the nature of renovations. I get that.

However, I am also very literal. And if, after three weeks of mostly extremely loud work around the pool, we are told Friday afternoon that the pavers are done, and the interior pool work will start Wednesday, I do not expect loud work to happen on Saturday morning, and then starting again bright and early Monday morning.

You. Said. Wednesday.

I'm not personally blaming the condo board member who sent the update, not even in my own head; they are just passing along what they were told. But still.

You. Said. Wednesday.

What Size?

I went shopping on Saturday, and bought some sleeveless tops, as I mostly live in those in the summer down here (when the heat index can be over 100, something about sleeves, even short ones, sets me off). I looked in a bunch of places, but found one I liked at JC Penney, of all places. It fits me, doesn't flash too much, hangs well ... and is a size 3X.

As a woman dealing with fashion as it is today in America, I don't think of myself as being a particular size. I have plenty of XL tops, but also have tried some XL pieces that I can't even get on. Sizes are essentially meaningless. But I have tried on 3X tops that look like I am wearing an actual tent, which this (honestly) does not. It strikes me as odd that I can wear things that are labeled four sizes differently. The sizing system really is based on nothing but smoke and mirrors.

Do you think of yourself as being a particular size? 

10 comments:

  1. Sizes ARE meaningless. I have different sizes of clothing depending on the cut, the material, the store, etc. I find that sizes themselves are completely useless, unless a store has a "size calculator" so I can approximate what I need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'll look at those sizers and just have to shake my head. You think the bust or hip measurement of an XL is how many inches? Ha.

      Delete
  2. Sizing for women is truly meaningless. Much depends upon where the garment is made. It's the big reason I won't shop online for clothes unless I absolutely have to.

    As far as Tarragon goes, I use it with chicken often. And always in chicken salad. And I make a French potato salad with fresh tarragon, but I suppose you could use dried. You use very small red potatoes, several sliced green onions, and the dressing is olive oil, dijon mustard, salt, freshly ground black pepper, emulsified with a hand blender. Pour the dressing over the boiled red potatoes while still hot, add 1-2T of fresh chopped tarragon, toss, and refrigerate immediately. Add onions once the dressed potatoes have cooled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clothing sizing is so frustrating! I might take a chance on something on a really good sale, but otherwise I tend to buy more of something I already have, not something new, because who knows how (or if) it will fit?

      Delete
  3. Sizes, esp. women's sizes, are garbage, and even the same item of clothing from the same shop but in a different color/print can fit differently (I've read that this is due to color 1 being turned into clothes by factory 1 and color 2 being turned into clothes by factory 2 and not having the exact same guidelines between the two factories [seam allowance, etc.], but I don't actually know).

    Re: tarragon: a friend makes a smashing tarragon-forward chicken-and-dumpling soup/stew. You can also dry it for fresher than from-the-bottle-of-dried-tarragon dried tarragon, or freeze it in an ice cube of water for any tarragon uses you find where it'll be cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at a cotton nightshirt that came in two patterns, and realized that one was 100% cotton and the other was only 60%! Why were they listed as though they were the same item?

      Delete
  4. Seems to me there's always this dichotomy between US sizes and sizes of country of origin with tags to match. But yeah, it's all bistro mathematics either way. (Hitchhiker of the Galaxy reference.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I strongly dislike tarragon! I know it's an odd thing to dislike but if i see it listed in an item on a menu, I will steer clear!

    Sizing is ridiculous. It has changed so much over the years. I don't understand it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! I'm not sure I had ever had, or at least noticed, tarragon until our neighbor brough us some of his tuna salad.

      Delete