Thursday, June 29, 2023

Making a Uniform

As I've gotten older, I have more and more embraced the idea of simplifying my clothing, to something between a capsule wardrobe and a uniform. I have a lot of random items that are okay, fit fine, I-can-wear-that, but things I'm not excited for, and that I don't find myself reaching for. Why keep them, while I wear the same few things again and again?

Note that this doesn't include things I still need to have but don't wear often, like grown-up clothes (theater, etcetera), or warm layers for trips up north. I need to keep some of those, but I'm talking about everyday items for my everyday life in Florida.

A note about material: I have been looking a lot for cotton, because it breathes better than synthetics. I would love to buy more wool clothing, which is even better for that (yes, in hot weather too), but what I have found is not always available in my size (looking at you, Smartwool) and when it is, is awfully expensive (hi, Woolx, that would be you). Having wool leggings for a light, warm, moisture-wicking wear experience sounds great, but it's not worth $135 to me, at this point in my life. I ordered a pair from REI that were much less, and we'll see how that is.

So: instead of having the random oddballs, I've been trying to find something that works, get a bunch of them, and simplify the whole process, while packing up a bunch of things I don't wear and donating them. 

I've been able to find things in a couple of categories.

Capris

I first got a pair of Zenergy by Chico's capris from the thrift store when my mother was volunteering there (this is not the only time I will say that), and I then found a few more on Poshmark, so I have four pair now.

They're part cotton, lightweight, and comfortable. The only drawback is that they're thin fabric, which means that on most of the ones I have, I can't wear patterned underpants because they show through, and also, because I am a sweaty person in hot weather, I sometimes worry that it might look like I sat in a puddle. But for casual circumstances, they work great.

Skorts

Again, my first Ideology skort came to me via the thrift store, and I liked it enough to search out some more. They are stretchy/flexible material, not cotton but comfortable, and while it's a slightly short length for my preferences, the fact that it's a skort means at least I don't have to worry about flashing anyone. They look like this:


I have one I like as much from another brand, Coral Bay, which a search tells me is a brand from Bealls, and it is equally comfortable, slightly longer (21 inches versus 18), and, drumroll please, it has pockets!

I found one kind of like this on Poshmark, or at least let's hope it's enough like to work for me.

Sleeveless Shirts

As I mentioned, in really hot weather, I do not want to be wearing a shirt with sleeves; for some reason, it drives me over the edge when I'm hot. The shirts I wrote about that I got from JC Penney are these, from their St. John's Bay line, and I liked the two I got enough that I went to the website this week and ordered it in more colors than the store had in stock.


Because if it works, it works.

I also found a sort-of-similar sleeveless shirt that I liked when I ran into Bealls Outlet to look for cotton sleep shorts, and like it enough that I'll be checking back for more of that brand.

Dresses

I had a couple of these cotton dresses (technically they're swim cover-ups) from Lands' End already, but a friend let me know that they were on a big sale, and for about 75% off, I couldn't resist getting some more. 


They even have pockets! They're great for hanging around the house (or by the pool, in theory, though I don't actually do that frequently). I would probably wear cotton bike shorts under them for going out, though (see above: sweaty person).

Do you have a personal wardrobe/style thing going? Have you ever, after putting off going through your closet to pull out what doesn't work, suddenly felt ready to do it, do it now, out they go?

8 comments:

  1. I just want to say that the garments from Woolx are 100% worth every penny. They wash well, don't fade, and last for years. I would have bought five pairs of cotton leggings for $30-50 in the time I've had my Woolx leggings, so if you do the price per wear, sometimes it's worth it.

    My personal wardrobe is almost entirely wool or cotton dresses with pockets. I will wear leggings with them in the winter and wear layers (jackets/cardigans/etc.) when it gets cold. But I can't wear pants because I wear out the thighs (chub rub is real) and they end up splitting after few wears. I wear Jockey Skimmies under my dresses all the time to prevent chub rub on my thighs.

    I don't even think about what I'm going to wear anymore. I just go to the closet and pick out one of my eight seasonal dresses. My closet is pretty small and I'm always surprised by how many clothes other people own. I guess it's because I also don't blink at spending $150-$250 on a piece of clothing that will last and I will own for a long time. I don't buy a ton of clothing, but what I do buy I take care of and make it last!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're right that they're worth it for how long they last, and I have bought a few Woolx things when they used to have a sale section (which seems not to exist now), but it's just hard for me to bite the bullet.

      I am so happy looking at my closet with so much more that I can just grab without thinking. I honestly probably need to let go of a bit more, but this was a big step in the right direction.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of having a uniform! It simplifies things so much. I'd say my typical uniform is leggings/running shorts, a sports bra, and a tank top. But I do like to switch it up a bit when I have to be in public. I've really been embracing the long dresses this season. They feel so comfy, plus they are cute and polished. I love the Lands End dresses you linked to -- so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard for me to let go of a few items that I really liked but that did not fit me well. But now, my closet is so much more me-friendly!

      Delete
  3. Since my colorectomy I've worn skirts almost exclusively, because they are far more accommodating to the circumstances at hand. Not pants. I like them long, because with my sense of balance lost in a car accident, I fall a lot and I'd rather not flash anybody when I do--plus, with my lupus, the covering up is the thing, and so I wear long sleeves, but I don't like long sleeves when it's warm, so I dislike ones I can't push/roll up out of my way since I'm generally inside anyway. So that's my uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you posted those swim cover-up dresses! I just ordered two, on a great sale, for lounging around the house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of a uniform or capsule wardrobe, and I am a big believer that everything you have in your closet should be something you love! I love skorts in the summer and wear them a lot (unless it's super cold, like it has been the past couple of days).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just looking at my closet this morning and smiling. It's getting better!

      Delete