Saturday, June 17, 2023

A Keeper

I am a keeper. No, not like that. Well, maybe? But what I’m talking about here is that I keep things for sentimental reasons and I keep things for just-in-case reasons. I’m the opposite of a minimalist, although I no longer describe myself as like a hoarder after watching that TV series, which was so upsetting I had to stop watching it. Those poor people had mental health issues that put them in these awful situations, and I don’t think that me hanging onto a piece of ribbon that I might use again is anywhere on that spectrum.

Now that I’ve gotten myself depressed, on to a lighthearted tale of cleaning out desk drawers!

Yes, I might need to work on my transitions here, eh? Well. What happened was that I went to get something out of a desk drawer and it wasn’t there. (Which is a problem because if an item is not where it belongs, I have zero idea where else it is. But this item isn’t important here except as the catalyst.) Everything else under the sun was crammed into that drawer, though, and in frustration I started pulling things out, trying to find the item. Which wasn’t there, but enough “why do I have that” and “why would that be here, it belongs there” went through my head that I decided to take everything out and start sorting through it all.

The goal wasn’t to throw a ton away, but to really think about if I wanted to keep it, and if so, where it belonged. Whee! Lots of crazy stuff.

Some stuff was trash, for sure. Some needed to better sorted and organized. One drawer led to another, and to others. I did enough that my back started complaining about it.

Among the keepers were a handful of hockey pucks: “Hey, Mom, do you need any paperweights?” Those are useful keepers. Among the 'non-useful and I don’t care' keepers were these.


Because how could I not?

I remember waiting to go in to one of these games, and a man near us, holding a printout of his tickets, said enviously, "How did you get real tickets?" (The answer was that my friend got them through work, and I guess the corporate season ticket holders get the pretty ones.)

In the not-keeper category was this CD, which notes that the system requirements start with "Windows 3.1 or '95"--imagine putting that in a computer today? It would probably faint.
Also not keepers, my incredibly outdated collection of airline frequent flyer cards.
Pop quiz, how many of these airlines still exist today?

I've been working on this, on and off, all day, and I still have a bunch of stuff strewn around to figure out, but what's been put back in the drawers is 1000% better already, which feels great. 

Even if my back does not.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on getting taht done! And I'm going to say United, American, and Delta and probably British Airways. Wow, you had SkyMiles too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using Wikipedia as my source, I can say that US Airways, AirTran, Continental, and Northwest are defunct, which means you got the ones that still exist right, well done! I loved getting on all these plans when I was a new traveler: it felt so adult to me! Funny to think back on.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is a lot of frequent flyer cards!! I think united, american, delta, and british airways are still in existence, but I am not confident about british airways.

    I am kind of the opposite of you - I am not sentimental and I am not a keeper of things. I enjoy purging! My parents brought me a shoebox of photos from HS/college last year. I looked through them and then threw everything away. I imagine others would NOT do that. But I often think - do I want me kids to have to deal with throwing this away some day? My husband isn't sentimental either so we are a good match in this regard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an interesting balancing act to me, what to keep. I hold onto some things longer than I should, I know. Of course, with no spouse or kids, I don't know who will get stuck cleaning up after me, but I guess at least they won't have to deal with any sentimentality!

      I wonder if I should ask around to my younger friends or friends' kids if anyone wants my OED after I'm gone. I hate to think of it going unloved. Of course, I feel that way about all my books, when it comes down to it!

      Delete