Monday, May 29, 2023

Sunday, By the Hour

Inspired by a recent post from NGS, I decided to do an hourly photo post about my day, and of course I wanted it to be a weekend, since 8 photos in a row of "Here I am working at my desk" don't really fit the theme, you know? So here's Sunday. (With, as it turned out, many pictures of Maggie instead. Oh, well, I stay true to myself.)

7AM, wishing I was still asleep, but Maggie is very happy to be settling down on my lap for a nap after her (second) breakfast. 

On work days, my alarm goes off at 6:30, and some days I'm awake-ish before that, other days not. I used to always be asleep when it went off, and hit the snooze button a few times, but I appear to have moved on to a new phase. Oh joy. I want to sleep late, damn it.

By 8, Maggie was letting me know she was ready to be fed again. Yes, she is spoiled.

"Well? Come on!"

At 9, I was at my desk, trying to chip away at the long list of small things I needed to get done after my trip. Noting the books I read and the days I had headaches, opening the mail, and on and on.

(I never promised they would all be interesting photos!)

At 10, after a shower, I was back at it, this time photographing the yarn I bought on my trip, in order to blog about it, and enter it in Ravelry.

Three yarn stores, and it looks like two people with very different color taste did the buying! But it's all for meeeee...and some of it was on sale.

By 11, having had a bit to eat, and tucked Maggie under a blanket (her idea, of course) for her next nap, I was straightening out the sweater-in-progress, officially half done as I'm halfway through the yarn. Next step, start the sleeves!


Well, technically, the next step was to wind the rest of the yarn. Which I did while listening to the recording of last week's Live from the Workroom, with Franklin Habit (you have to be one of his Patrons to see the livestreams, but it's a nice little group, lively chat, and I enjoy it).

At noon, while wondering how it could possibly only be noon and wishing I was a person who could nap, I updated the calendar for next week; Mom and I keep two weeks on the fridge, to coordinate who's doing what when. 


By 1, I've fed the cat again, and taken care of a few health things.


My doctor wants me to check my blood pressure at home now and then, so I have finally started tracking that (so far, it's fine), plus it was time for my depo shot. My GYN lets me do it myself at home, and frankly I don't like doing it at all--I don't mind needles if I don't have to look at them, but you can't give yourself a shot without looking--but it beats having to tweak my work schedule by half a day for a visit that takes under five minutes until you add the drive and the inevitable wait. So I've been doing it, and gagging. Why yes, I love being closer to my 55th birthday than the 54th and still not being done with this shit, thank you for asking!

Fun fact, once they sent in a prescription for the vial instead of the pre-filled syringe, and the (very nice) person at the pharmacy told me that they could sell me a needle and I could....and I nope-nope-noped out of that at once. Apparently the PFS is the very edge of my tolerance for this stuff. 

After that, I settled down on the couch, thinking that I might have another cat-lap opportunity. But she didn't take her chance, and a few minutes later, I looked up and saw this:

She wanted to be elsewhere, clearly. I helped her find the way underneath the blanket on the love seat. So that makes four different places she's napped, so far this day.

At 2, I was catching up on the supplements from the local paper that had piled up.

Done and recycled!

At 3, I was back at the desk, with the sidekick cat now keeping me company.
She watched me for a bit, then turned toward the window. A change is as good as a rest, I guess. She does like watching (and listening to) the birds outside.

At 4, I was back on the couch, reading. I've been re-reading the Peter Wimsey books by Dorothy Sayers, most of which I remember only parts of the who-done-it, and I love Peter. It's restful reading. I own a few of the print books (just kept my favorites when I moved), and have bought a few e-books and am borrowing the others from the library. 

Foreground: library book on tablet. Background: Maggie as a lump under yet another blanket (It's actually a cozy jacket-thing that is too warm for down here most of the time, so it lives on the couch where Maggie can crawl in when her whimsey takes her).

At 5, I went looking for Maggie, who had gotten down from there, and found her on Mom's lap.

Very pleased with herself. If you haven't been counting, this was her sixth nap spot of the day. The girl sleeps around. I performed what we refer to here as Cat Removal Service, so Mom could get up.

Shortly after 5, she returned to the start of her day, and got back on my lap.

She was still on my lap at 6, but by 7, she had moved to a blanket on the floor.

At 8, guess who was where again?


At just after 9, we were in bed. She frequently wants me to be in bed, on my side, so she can lean against my legs and have a bath before bed.


The other night, in fact, she was washing me as well as herself.


I usually go to bed closer to 9 than 10; I wake up too early, whether I want to or not, to stay up very late. I put on an audio book and play a few rounds of solitaire on my tablet before setting the timer on the audio book to fall asleep to. I listen to books I'm familiar with, so they won't grab my attention too much to fall asleep, and they seem to give my brain something to hang on to, instead of the array of random thoughts that otherwise crop up and push sleep off.

Anyone else listen to something (not like white noise) to fall asleep to? I suppose people who don't re-read books wouldn't want to, perhaps. I get into certain series and stick with them for a while: Martha Wells' Murderbot books, and her Raksura series, are frequent ones. Lately I've been listening to Katherine Addison's books, The Witness for the Dead and The Grief of Stones, over and over. I can not WAIT for the next book in the series!

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I was very careful to plan my day so that it wasn't just photos of the dog and cat. I mean. They are the cutest things and should be photographed all the time!

    I remember days when I could sleep in. Now the combination of my small bladder and creaky back make it impossible. Oh, well. On to the phase of my life where I get up early, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really "plan" my day, but nothing that happened was enough for me to pull the plug on the idea. Maybe I'll do it again sometime when I'm doing more, but eh, when will that be?

      Delete
  2. I'm loving the Maggie photos! She's making sure you stay right there with her and no more running away for days on end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fun to read! Although I shuddered at the self-injection. Very brave of you. I think I would pass out every time!

    Love all the Maggie pics. If only my days had a cat in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hate giving myself that shot, but the convenience of it overcomes the nausea. Just barely!

      Glad you like the cat shots--as I tell anyone who wants to be friends with me on social media, it's mostly cat photos!

      Delete
  4. Awww, your cat is so cute. We used to have a cat but now she mostly lives with my MIL. We got her before we had kids and she's not a big fan of loud children. She went to stay with my MIL during the pandemic as her "emotional support animal" and now she just comes to our house when she has her annual vet appointment. She was so attached to my husband as he was really "his" cat (he got her before I moved in). She would only sit on me during the cold winter months when I had a blanket on my lap. Otherwise she had no interest in me!

    I don't listen to anything when I fall asleep! But I need ear plugs and a sleep mask to sleep so I am pretty high maintenance. I can still hear the kids crying out when I wear my ear plugs but they dull the background noise and now they've kind of become a sensory thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to listen to anything, but when I was getting ready to move, I had so much on my mind that I had trouble getting my brain to switch off at night, so I started listening to a sleep podcast at night for the distraction. After the move, I switched to audiobooks instead. It works for me!

      Fun fact, my brother has 4 cats and when he's feeding them first thing in the morning, he wears ear plugs! I guess they make enough noise that he doesn't like to start his day listening to it. Do they not fall out in bed? Or maybe it's just my ears that reject such things.

      Delete