Sunday, December 11, 2022

It's Beautiful, But...; a Little Whining

The perils of buying yarn online are several-fold, and one thing that can easily happen is when the color in person is not what it looked like on your computer. That said, however, I find it hard to believe that it's just my computer that showed this:


When what came looks like this:

So much darker! 

It's still beautiful yarn, don't get me wrong. And it feels very nice, as it should with the cashmere and silk along with merino. But it isn't even close to what I thought I was getting, color-wise. Ah, well.

While I'm being a little whiny, here is something else I feel a little sad about: holiday cards. My current situation is one of those where you feel two different things, and that they are both true, and yet they contradict each other:

  1. People should only send out holidays cards at all if they want to and it works for them. No one is required to. I never want to get one at the cost of someone putting pressure on themselves to do something they don't want to, no matter what reasons they may have not to. Or no reason beyond don't-want-to.
  2. I am sad that I haven't gotten more holiday cards yet.

Now, it is only December 11th, and there's plenty of time before Christmas. And no, I don't feel strongly that cards must come before December 25th!

But still. 

I have received one card, which I requested from Robyn Anderson, whose Love & Hisses blog I have read for years, and who offers to mail her cards to anyone who wants one. 

And I received one from NGS, whose blog I also read, and who offered to send cards to anyone who wanted since her card order got accidentally doubled this year. 

(Both of these cards are very cute and I was happy to get them.) 

Also, I am told that Mary Ellen's wrapped present that arrived last week contains their card, which is fun to look forward to, but I'm not opening it yet (either it will be Christmas, or possibly an "I am having a grinchy day and need to open a present, damn it" day before then). And hopefully I will get at least a few more from friends. It's just fun to get real mail, you know? 

Good to get the whining out. Anything you want to whine about?

3 comments:

  1. I'd like to join you in the mini-whine. We've only gotten five cards in the mail. FIVE! I hesitate to admit how many I make out and I don't want to make it a quid pro quo thing, but my card display is looking sad. I anticipate a rush of cards very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only send out cards to people who send back, and if they don't reciprocate, I take them off my list. Fortunately, a lot of people do send out cards to me, but I had one friend who probably hadn't sent me a card in at least five years, so I took her off my list. She is a close friend so I kept her on the list longer than I normally would have. Well. She actually ASKED ME ABOUT IT. "I didn't get a card from you!" I thought this was so rude and I still feel a little hurt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Nicole above: sending a bunch of cards is something I've only managed to do a few times ever, but I deeply appreciate the people who do. There's one person whom I got one from last week who, if she ever didn't, I'd immediately be asking around to our mutual friends, Is Colette okay? (She's in her 80's, old enough to be my mom.)

    It could well be your friend simply wanted to know too if she shouldn't be expecting them anymore, and to say that's okay.

    I LOVED getting cards #2 and 3 of the year yesterday--and both of them were a picture of their respective cats. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete