Sunday, July 17, 2022

Not Fun Knitting

So I'm knitting a blanket. Or finishing one, really: the family friend who died recently had started it for her first great-grandchild, and the family asked me if I could finish it. Of course.

This is where it was when I got it, ten days ago. It's about three feet wide, and was about 14 inches high. The stitch pattern is called Traveling Vines, from The Complete Photo Guide to Knitting; it's an 8-stitch, 12-row repeat.

It's pretty, though as the yarn is acrylic, it won't block out to open it up, which I think would be even prettier. But no matter. Still pretty.

Because this project is very much not about me as a knitter. It's from me the person, and this may sound strange, but I don't have to be proud of the knitting (I mean, it's acrylic, two obviously different dye lots, a difference in my gauge and hers). This is about the baby having something from his great-grandmother. That I can do.

This is where I was as of Saturday night. Getting close to being big enough.


The colored bit of yarn is where I picked it up. Good progress for just over a week's knitting.

And onward.

3 comments:

  1. What a kindness for you to finish this blanket for the baby, on behalf of the great grandparent. And it is so lovely. Such a loving, thoughtful thing for you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thing to do to finish the blanket. I'm sure the family will be delighted with the results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, generous, wonderful of you to do.

    On a completely side note: Barbara Walker has a Traveling Vines pattern--but that's her Chinese lace pattern. Curious. It's also a pay-attention-to-what-you're-doing pattern, and that makes your act of love even more so.

    ReplyDelete