Sunday, March 12, 2023

Splitting Hairs, Making Plans

I know I said that I wasn't planning to buy any more yarn for a while, but I kind of did get a little. Kind of? 

I was sitting on the lanai Friday, and wearing my Top Notes Poncho, which I made two years ago, and which is a really nice piece for when it's a little chilly around the edges, and the yarn I used for it is the sadly disappeared Maple Creek Farm Fredericksburg, which is BFL, lovely, light but warm.

I was thinking about what nice yarn it is, and the next thing I knew, I was looking in stashes on Ravelry, and found someone with two skeins to sell, in the Cherry Slush colorway that was the first of theirs I bought, back in 2010 (2010!) (I made a Frost Diamonds shawl with it, still have and wear that). And, well, isn't it amazing what you can do with an iPad*, sitting with a cat on your lap?

*I did wait to get to the actual computer to do the PayPal part.

I'm thinking of trying the Comodo cardigan, which says you can use any weight yarn. The Fredericksburg is listed in Ravelry as worsted weight, but I don't know. It's so light. I mean, the Springvale DK from Three Irish Girls is DK, as the name says, but the Wheelwright Shawl I used it in is so much heavier. Which is just a difference, not a complaint, but it points to one of the (forgive the pun) fuzzy parts about yarn weights.

Springvale DK is 100 grams to 270 yards

Fredericksburg (supposedly worsted) is 226 grams to 660 yards, which makes it 100 grams to ~265.5 yarns

And yet they feel so different! Mysterious.

I used needle sizes 11 and 10.5 (US) for the projects I've made, and I think I'll go down a little, to cut down on the pilling, maybe 9, maybe even just 10. See how the fabric turns out.

Think, think, think. Fun knitting thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha - I suppose there is always room for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you were able to find some!

    Said the woman who wasn't going to buy any yarn but this morning put some 64/36 cashmere/cotton in my cart. Haven't quite pulled the trigger yet.

    ReplyDelete