Monday, March 06, 2023

The Noise of Pickleball; Good Reading

I've written before about pickleball and why does it have to be so loud, but I was thinking about it again recently, as the height of season here means there's been plenty across the street from us. I was on the lanai the other day and noticed some motion on the courts across the street, but no noise. Well, if I concentrated, I could hear faint thwaps, but no PLONKs and no yelling. It took me a minute to realize that they were playing tennis, not pickleball, and that's why it was so much quieter.

So I was very interested to read that there's a question in Wellesley MA about keeping the game "located on fields further away from homes," because it's so loud. Not just my impression, then!

In happier news, I've been reading and enjoying some good books lately. I've read three new books already in March and really liked them! That's a roll to be on, given how much I've been in re-reading mode in recent months.

I don't remember who recommended Love & Saffron by Kim Fay--was it you? Take credit! Because it was a lovely, touching read and I enjoyed it so much.


The next I enjoyed in a different way. Would it appeal to non-hockey fans? I have no idea, though the concept of EBUGs might appeal to any sports fan? But if you are (or know) a hockey fan, pick up Odd Man In by Stephen Whyno.

Two gloves up!

Finally, a plausibly implausible romance, Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan. I really liked Nora!


Will this streak keep going? Doubtful. But it's fun while it lasts.

3 comments:

  1. I learned about Love & Saffron from Nicole and I LOVED it. It was just such a great little book about friendship. I also really enjoyed Nora and her kids! Such a great romance novel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked Love and Saffron a lot, and loved Nora Goes Off Script!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for good books! I am very curious about Nora Goes Off Script. It sounds so charming.

    ReplyDelete