Saturday, September 15, 2018

A Tale of Socks and Needles

As I mentioned at the end of the last post, I had a knitting-needle-buying emergency last week, in order to have something to knit at the knitting group. The needles the store had were Knitters Pride Karbonz, which are carbon fiber needles with brass tips. As I was knitting with them, I couldn't help thinking that they were heavier than the needles I had just been using, on the last pair of socks, so when I was home again, I switched them out and weighed them.

The set of five went between 5 grams...
and six. Not that heavy, but.
The ones I had previously been using were Knitters Pride Dreamz, and their weight? Between three grams...
And four. Not a huge difference, but a difference.
Out of curiosity, I found a set of what I think are bamboo. Between one gram...
And two.
Quite a range! A range of pointiness, as well, but not enough to make me want to use the heaviest.
Meanwhile, about the sock part. Here are the completed ones, to prove I did finish them.
In case you've ever wondered why we bother with sock blockers for photography:
Stretch the knitting out just enough to show it clearly..
Vanity, basically.
Meanwhile, this is what I got done with those new needles Thursday night, so, a), yes, I can use them, and b), worth it to me to buy them even if I don't use them.
Two wee little stripes.
But darker color is coming!
Three stripes, and challenging the camera to capture the colors accurately.
Four stripes, and not completely accurate, but close.
And away we stripe.

1 comment:

  1. What do you think of the Karbonz? I found that the join between the metal tips and the carbon fiber shaft annoyed me.

    ReplyDelete