Sunday, September 16, 2018

Oh, Those Kittens

It's time for another Sunday with the kittens! And it was a good one!

Actually, three of the cats who were there today belong to the shelter manager, so I talked to them, but didn't focus on them.

Lovely, though. Look at this tail!
As much fun as the kittens are, it was nice to see a fully grown cat.

Then there's a little black one:
And a fluffy medium-sized white one.
First, I visited with a pair of Siamese who were surrendered by their owner, who has to move. They were only adopted earlier this year, the manager said, so while they're large compared to the kittens, they aren't full-grown.
Very friendly, as you can see!
And lots of purring and talking. I hope someone adopts them soon.

The big cage has five kittens right now: the three that I played with two weeks ago, and two who were added in.They were all bouncing around the cage, playing with toys and each other, slightly cautious of me, but curious about me and about the cat outside the cage.

Who really wanted to know how I got in there.
While I watched the littles:


The puffball hung around the other cage, which had the pair of the littlest kittens. And then went climbing. See the white streak at the top?

"I can do that, too!" said one of the ones in with me, but only got about that high before deciding to go back down.
I tried picking up the kittens, and some of them just weren't sure this was a great idea. No big drama reactions, but definitely some "put me down, please" vibes.
There was one, though, who was all over the attention.
Meet Chipmunk, who apparently decided from the first sniff that I was okay, as he looked up at me and meowed.
I held him, and he vibrated from the purring.
He was also checking me out all around: he went up to my right shoulder, checked out along the shoulders over to the left, came down my shirt again, and descended to lap, all while I tried to keep my hands out to catch him if he lost his balance.
He was looking down to the floor, so I thought he wanted to get down, but when I put him down, he looked right up at me and meowed again, like, "Are you stupid? I want the loving, and it's up there!"
It's such a shame he's so standoffish.

He was still checking out what the others were up to, and in fact I did put him down a few times and try to pick up the others, but they were considerably less interested.
Whereas someone was all over it.
"They're missing out, this is good stuff."
One by one, the others were going to soft spots and curling up, so it was clearly naptime.
Chipmunk settled in.
And started dropping off himself.
Leaving me with a quandary: Stay with the handful of napping kitten? Or get home in time to watch the Bruins game on TV? It's just the preseason, but...
Fortunately for my dilemma, someone else made a noise that roused him enough that I didn't feel completely heartless for putting him down. Although I would have loved to bring him home for the afternoon. Just for a field trip!

I don't think you could really say I was tempted to keep him. He must be more kitten-high-energy-whirling-dervish sometimes, and that's the reason I want to get an adult. But it sure was fun snuggling him today.

Parting shot:

No comments:

Post a Comment