Thursday, January 02, 2014

Snow, Snow, 's no problem

There was only an inch or two of snow on the ground this morning; they were still saying the worst would come in the afternoon and overnight. I checked my work e-mail (which I can do remotely, at least there's that much), and found a message from the division head about the storm, as well as one from my boss. The first had the part that always irritates me, "I strongly advise you to work from home over the next two days if possible." Gosh, if only it were possible! Like, if you gave me a laptop! Or at least stopped sending out messages with a strong subtext of "I have either forgotten or don't care that this doesn't apply to you, because you don't matter." But whatever, nothing new there, right?

The one from my boss, however, irritated me even more. I know, who thought that would be possible? But this was her message, to me and the other editor (who, you remember, works from home anyway): "I just wanted to let you know that due to the upcoming snowstorm, I will be working at home tomorrow. Please continue working on your current projects." Oh yes, awesome, thank you! You'll be working from home, she's working from home, and I? Well, fuck me, apparently!

My boss doesn't actually have a work-issued laptop either, but has mentioned before that she is able to work from home using her mother's laptop, or something. Isn't that nice for her? And such a charming "you're on your own" message. What a great manager.

English needs sarcasm punctuation.

So! I considered my options, factoring in that I needed to go to Walgreens for more congestion medicine anyway, as well as that there was a small project I had said I would do Thursday morning, and decided that I would go in this morning, take care of the project, put in a couple of hours on the report I'm working on, and then say screw 'em and leave (stopping at Walgreens on the way home). And that's what I did. There was around an inch of powder on the car at home, and another couple of inches when I left work shortly after 11. I'm glad I didn't stay longer; the roads were worse than I thought they would be. But no big problems, stopped at Walgreens and at the back, to ensure I had enough quarters for all the laundry, got home at 12:15. And now I am in, and can stay in the rest of the day, and tomorrow. Ahhh.

I refuse to feel guilty over not working when they don't make it possible for me to safely do so (she said defensively). Well, I will fight the guilt; I do feel some guilt, it's that stupid work ethic (thanks, mom), but honestly, I can only do so much. I'm not driving through a blizzard for the sake of this job; you can hardly call me essential personnel. As I said in my reply to my boss, "Next week, let's talk about getting me a laptop, so bad weather doesn't have to mean I can't work!" (And the good news is that she agreed; not that there was a rational reason for her not to, but she's not exactly rational, so I did wonder.)

Now, you know what all this means? Long weekend! Can't say I'm sorry about that. Catching up on laundry, clean the kitchen, cuddle Carlos, rest and relax and get more sleep ... I can live with a little guilt.

Is it snowing where you are? What's your story?

2 comments:

  1. My story? I went to the store on the 31st, stocked up and came home, knowing I wouldn't have to step foot away from dooryard until the snow stopped. It's one of the joys of early retirement. It started here in New Salem last night and so far we've only got about 3", but we're in a low part of town near the Quabbin, not up on the hills.

    Darn right, she should agree to get you a lap top. It's ridiculous for you to travel in all sorts of weather when you can easily work remotely. Besides, Carlos can help you edit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would agree that working from home means you have been provided at least SOME of the tools to do so! Stay warm. :)

    My story: I ran out to do errands early this afternoon and of course stopped at the library. It's snowing right now in the Philly area, and they are predicting 4-7" when all is said and done by tomorrow morning. (Where I am might get middle to high end of range.)
    Many offices are doing the "two hours late" opening thing for tomorrow--but for me there already is no school as our school is on Christmas vacation until Monday! Snow day SAVED! Gonna do some cleaning and of course spoil the kitty.

    ReplyDelete