Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Yup, Only Tuesday, All Right

Funny, that, isn't it?

Today wasn't actually that bad, though the second day of weather that started sunny and then got cloudy and rainy and thunderstorms and such is frankly two days too many. It's "supposed" to be better the rest of the week; we'll see. Meanwhile, there's work stuff and hockey stuff to talk about.

Several times in the past, I have written about how frustrating I find it to have to dress up when the big boss is in town. Remember? Well, Monday we got this message from the local boss:
____ is in the office tomorrow - no need to dress up since he will be in a conference room all day
As I said to my nearest neighbor, "As opposed to all the other times he's been here?" That's exactly what has happened every time! Baffling. Good, but baffling.

The other good news was that I didn't have to organize the lunch today. Pizza without a side of stress, very nice. (I did get to pull out those notes I took of what we ordered last time, but otherwise it was Not My Problem.)

Last night's game was fun to watch (well, not if you're a Blackhawks fan, but you know what I mean). By the end, the Hawks had that look about them that the Penguins so often did, the look that says, "Nothing is working. Nothing. What else can we do?" The Bruins are beating them to the point that they're beating themselves. Great fun.

That said, I'll be surprised if Chicago doesn't come back strong in game four. But then, I kept expecting Pittsburgh to come back strong in the last series, and they never did. Should be interesting, anyway.

My mother and I have been talking about how announcers pronounce players' names differently, which reminded me of this video I just saw, courtesy of the CBC and their beautifully thorough hockey coverage. In it, the Bruins introduce themselves, so you can hear how *they* pronounce their names, which should answer the question once and for all (MARshond, not MarchAND); but also funny, if you listen through to the end, is seeing how it finishes, with Krejci and then Jagr. Worth a listen, I think!

They had some fun with that, eh? Also, they're from all over the world, aren't they? Lots of Canadians, sure, but the US and Russia, Sweden and Finland and Germany, Latvia and Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Whew!

Next, in order to enjoy this exchange, as detailed on the Backhand Shelf podcast today by John Noon, you need to know that the Bruins goalie, Tuukka Rask, is from Finland, and he is playing tremendously well.

Ha! Well done, gentleman. (Although, Noon? Two Us, two Ks in Tuukka. Just saying.)(I know, quibbling about spelling on Twitter...)

Now, his furry lordship has indicated, in a subtle and casual way, that he would like my attention.
You know, subtle.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! My parents have a cat who is an arm-stealer, too.

    The pronunciation of Marchand makes sense; actress Julia Ormand says her name is pronounced with the emphasis the same way. (But nobody does it right.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw crud, I spelled Tuukka's name wrong in my FB status Monday night...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay Jagr made me literally laugh out loud :D

    ReplyDelete