Thursday, June 27, 2013

Brrr, Inside and Out

We had some temperature fluctuations in the office this week, as well as outside, where it was 95 Monday, 70 today, welcome to New England.

Monday was fine inside; I was even wearing a skirt and not cold. I went outside at lunchtime and happily basked in the I-love-it heat. Tuesday was also hot out, but not as good in: I again had a skirt on, and my legs were rather cold. Wednesday, since it wasn't as hot out, maybe 80, I wore my more usual trousers, and thank heavens I did because it was super-cold inside. Then because of that, someone tried pushing the thermostat up, which turned on the heat and sent out a lingering, burned-plastic odor that had us all coughing. With the thermostat pushed back down, that finally dispersed, but it was never not cold.

Warned by all this, I not only wore trousers today, and brought a sweater to wear over my shirt, but I brought in a fleece jacket as well, and it's a good thing I did because I needed it: it was freezing and blowing cold air on my head all day. It is unfortunate that my desk is under the blowers; it's an odd feeling to be so layered up, including fingerless gloves, and see someone else in short sleeves. I mean, people are different, but still, that seems excessive.

On top of that today, we had lunch brought in to the office in honor of someone who's moving to the NY office, and while I hate to complain about a free lunch*, personally, I did not find half a sandwich (without even potato chips, incidentally) and a small piece of cake to be all that filling. I went back to my desk feeling both hungry and cold. Excellent. Coupled with the rain this afternoon, and the maybe-it-hit-70-degrees temps, it was just generally That Kind of Day.
*Clearly, I don't hate it enough to not complain, though.

At least it's Thursday night, which means tomorrow is Friday. I have movie plans with friends after work, and no other plans for the weekend. I should get the car inspected, do laundry, that kind of excitement. Which is fine by me.

Do you have plans this weekend, or no? How do you feel about it?

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I feel even colder when I'm hungry.

    We've got thunderstorms right now but temps were in the upper 80s all day so I kind of am envious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. In our brand new office there is an air handler pretty much right over me and both baffles are pointed directly at me. I have a nice cold consistent breeze every damn day and I'm freezing every damn day. It blows so hard it actually blows paperwork around on my desk. I'm now knitting a wool cardigan to wear this summer. I've complained and put in a work request but, you guessed it, it's going nowhere.

    ReplyDelete