Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Yeah, I'm Still Alive. If Less Active Than Usual (which is saying something)

Obviously, being sick sucks. But somehow it's even less fun if you don't know what the cause of the sickness is. And this little bout has been all over the place. Allergies! A cold? A migraine? One from column A and two from column B?

Saturday, in addition to the congestion ramping up, I had a sore throat. I was functional, though, so there was that. I was pretty sure it was just allergies again, and thought so still on Sunday morning, when the throat was better but the congestion was still disgusting. Midday, though, I realized that I was, perplexingly, freezing cold, like shivering. I huddled into warm things, then got into the shower. It helped a little, but I was still cold, and also feeling incredibly tired, so I got in bed to warm up and rest. It took a while, but I moved out of freezing and then on into hot, like sweating and why am I so hot? I went to take my temperature more to show that there was nothing wrong, since that's usually how it goes: I feel warm, take my temperature, and it comes up the smallest possible amount of fever, like 99, or more often, 98 (I run below average, usually).

This time, though, it was almost 102. Well then! I kept looking at it like I must be mis-reading it, but no, apparently not. Validation and mystery all at once, because allergies and fever, not usually together, right? I spent the rest of the day going from bed to couch and back, not doing the laundry I had planned, but more sitting around in wonderment at how crappy I felt.

Monday was similar, though less feverish, 99 and 100 but nothing higher. (Clearly I did not go to work.) I managed to summon the energy to shower in the afternoon, and went to the chiropractor--one of the benefits to his office being not only in the same town, but less than a mile away. No energy to stop at the store after, but oh well, baby steps.

This morning I woke up around 3, and had trouble getting back to sleep. It felt more like an incipient migraine, though, head and stomach a bit upset. I had trouble getting back to sleep, but was up and down and asleep and awake for a bit before sleeping again. I got up around 6 thinking I'd be able to go to work, but just reading the paper and eating an english muffin were activities so tiring, I amended the hope to being able to go in later. I rested, ate something...and rested; took a shower...and rested. At that point, I accepted that resting and not pushing it too early was going to be the better plan, and let work know.

I did decide that I had sufficient energy to do some laundry, as long as I spent the intervals on the couch, you know, resting, for a change. In between every trip, I reclined on the couch, listening to hockey podcasts on the iPad (Backhand Shelf is still my favorite: any others you'd recommend?), and playing solitaire (it's a good sign that I was up to my regular level: after the recent food poisoning incident, when I was playing solitaire the day after, I had to dumb it down). Lots of resting, and a good amount of kitty snuggling.

So I now have clean clothing, including Bruins shirts which alone were half a load, it's the playoffs for heaven's sake. Have I mentioned that? Starting tomorrow night at 8 (ugh), it's the Chicago Blackhawks against your Boston Bruins! Or, at least, my Boston Bruins. I'll get to hear that nice anthem singer they have there, and then hopefully the Bruins continue the streak they've been riding: you know, the one where they play really well. I like that kind of game. It's my favorite.

1 comment:

  1. There must be some virus going around because my husband and I have been having the same thing! I swore it was allergies and then maybe a cold, no allergies, no a cold and then a fever?! Blech. I hope it goes sooner than later for ALL of us. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete