Friday, June 07, 2013

Wednesday Night Into Thursday Morning

(On Thursday morning, when I thought about writing this, I was going to title it, "Tonight, I Will Be In Bed by Eight". Instead, I was so tired after work that I bailed on errands, came home, and was in bed at 5, only getting up at 11, when my neighbors chatting on their steps outside my window woke me. Soon, I will go back. Whew.)

Ideally, I would get ten hours of sleep a night. I'm functional on eight, but ten is much better. (Of course, unemployment is the only time I get ten, but nevermind.)

Last night? Wednesday night became Thursday morning. Double overtime, the game finished after midnight, I got between five and six hours, and I was a total zombie today*. But a happy zombie, after the Bruins won in the second overtime. Up three games to none, woo! (It's the first time this season that the Penguins have lost three in a row. Wow.)
*And I wonder why my head hurt. Couldn't be the 87 caffeinated drinks I consumed in an effort to open my eyes all the way**, could it? No. We will blame the Penguins.
**Which made me think of Katharine Hepburn in The Philadelphia Story, when she says she doesn't know what's wrong, but her eyes don't open all the way.

The Penguins played a much better game than the first two, so the Bruins' play was correspondingly worse (chicken/egg). The Bs took some stupid penalties, were useless on their own power plays, lost more faceoffs ... but in the end, my boy Bergeron tipped in a perfectly placed Marchand pass, and boom, here we are. Happy!

Also, I LOVED the CBC intro to last night's game.

Not being in Canada, I didn't see it before last night's game, of course, but it was online today, and another stellar job. The music the guy* chose is Radiohead's Karma Police, and the lyrics are great. "This is what you get when you mess with us" over shots of Bruins overwhelming Penguins, and "I lost myself" over shots of Crosby and other Pens looking, well, lost. Perfect.
*There was an interesting story I read about him, back in the Toronto series. What a cool job!

I'm not entirely sure about the inclusion of the fisherman statue, though. Is that supposed to be iconic Boston? It's in Gloucester, and it's not like we're playing the Islanders...

By the way, Bobby Orr was on a local radio program Thursday morning, and how would you feel, as Chara, to wake up in the morning, after last night's marathon effort, to learn that Bobby Orr said you were "a much better defensive defenseman than I was"? Whoa. I know, Orr was an offensive defenseman, but still, praise from the master is praise indeed.

So, I need to go back to bed. And dream of game 4, Friday night! (And sleeping in on Saturday; I'm too old for this shit, frankly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment