Monday, November 05, 2012

Random Updates, from yarn to dreams to e-mails

My stitch and bitch group planned to have our yarn show-off last Monday (where the Rhinebeck-goers show those who didn't go what we got), but of course the hurricane blocked that plan. So tonight we were on, which meant I had a bag full of yarn in my car*, and is it wrong that it made me worry about my car being stolen? not for the car itself, but for my precious yarn? I'm pretty sure that's wrong. Plus your average car thief is unlikely to find the yarn appealing, lovely as I think it is.
*Out of sight, mind you, but I still felt like its presence was obvious, and alluring

*****
I had the weirdest dream last night, and oh yes, I am going to tell you about it. I was across the street from the house where I grew up, and a man who was holding a baby fell down and hurt himself, so I held the baby while he was seeing how badly he was hurt. The baby was very cute, and I was bouncing him, and other people were around, and then suddenly I didn't have the baby, just this towel that had been around him, and I was trying to hide from the others that I didn't have the baby because how was I supposed to tell them that I didn't know where the baby had gone? And in the middle of my freaking out, I told myself, "It's okay, it's just a dream, wake up!" Which is something I've done once or twice before, in the middle of really scary bad dreams. And I woke up--by which I mean that I dreamed that I woke up, and I was in a room that I recognized, and I knew that it was okay.

When I actually, for-real woke up, I was very confused. I dreamed that I was dreaming? Too meta.

*****
Most of the time, I'm at peace with not being married, but when my newly-married coworker was telling a story about her father's speech at the reception, my gut twisted a little. I may never marry, but if I do, my father won't be making a speech. Things still come out of nowhere to hit me like a two-by-four upside the head, even after three and a half years.

I wonder what he would have said.

*****
I got a bargain-deal e-mail recently that amused me. The subject line claimed "Over 53% Off" as though that would be more impressive than either "53% Off" or "Over 50% Off", and the deal price was a vaguely specific "Less than $215.71". Perhaps I am easily amused? Or very literal?

Pithy words in another e-mail: The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn.

I'd never heard of David Russell before, but nice turn of phrase, sir.

*****
 Speaking of vaguely specific, let's give the kinda-sorta award to UPS. Last time I had a missed-you message saying that they would redeliver "After 5:00" the next day, I got home at 4:55 to find that they'd been and gone at 4:30. Tonight, it meant 6:30. Dude!

The good news is that I have the new American Express card, and it's activated and safely in my wallet.

The old one still has not turned up.

Life's little mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment