Thursday, November 01, 2012

Disjointed Thoughts

  • I can already tell that I will be apologizing to the cleaners on Saturday and assuring them that I understand the clutter will impede their ability to fully clean.
  • While I appreciate the companies that managed to hold off on the full-bore Christmas push until Halloween went by, it's a little disconcerting to have Christmas advertising be everywhere all of a sudden, like a switch flipped. Yesterday pumpkins, today mistletoe, boom.
  • I have come to the realization that my physical body, the infrastructure, believes we live in an era when we would expect to die by 45 or 50. Since I am hoping to considerably outlast that, it's a little depressing to be so achy and creaky already.
  • Learn something new every day: I was reading about prostate cancer recently, and ran across a reference to "indolent clinical courses" that I didn't quite understand. It turns out that there's a medical definition for indolent. How about that?
    • causing little or no pain: an indolent cyst
    • slow to heal: an indolent ulcer
    • inactive or slowly developing: an indolent tumor
  • Sometimes when I'm reading stuff for work, it reminds me of reading in a foreign language: I can sound out the words, the way I would in French, but that doesn't mean that I understand what it means. Science is its own language.
  • How to carry belongings and purchases at Rhinebeck is a challenge I have not quite mastered yet, and this year's plans left me with unbelievably sore arms. A backpack seems like it would work, but if you knew how many times I got clouted by someone's backpack when they turned without accounting for the added depth ... not that I can exactly blame them, I did it myself more than once when I did sling my bag onto my back to give my arms a break. It's just impossible to avoid, no matter how good your intentions, in a crowd of that size and concentration. Some people brought wheeled shopping bags, which are similarly not ideal. I don't know if there is an ideal solution, to be honest. 
  • On a whim, I picked up a tube of "caramel brûlé chocolate bites" at Starbucks, and wow. It is all I can do not to go back and buy ten more, because what if it is only going to be there for fall?! It will be gone and what will I do? Dangerously good. I may have picked up more on subsequent visits.
  • Speaking of which, I did manage ten minutes on the bike last night, though it took knitting AND watching the Bruins rerun to get me through the ennui/exhaustion. Good times. 
  • I will try to do that again tonight, but, did you read the first point here?
  • I have things to do!

1 comment:

  1. Cross-body messenger bag, maybe? Less bulky, somewhat less likely to clout people when you move?

    ReplyDelete