Wednesday, November 07, 2012

So, It's Snowing

Yup. November 7th. Not a record or anything, but still, early. Ish.

The weather was looking pretty threatening this morning, so I went to the Weather Channel's website to see when to expect the storm* that was blowing our way. Interestingly, it at first had us on the line between snow and "wintry mix" and then solidly into the snow area for hours, when there was absolutely nothing happening in the way of precipitation outside the window. From around 10 this morning (or what they called 11, since apparently someone at the Weather Channel forgot to Fall Back ... on Sunday) until it finally started lightly snowing around 3 this afternoon ... weird. I would have been inclined to trust the radar more than that, but I kept checking it and looking out the window, and, you know, nothin'.
*When did they start naming nor'easters? At least "Athena" sounds a little more powerful and capable of destruction than "Sandy" did. What a misnomer that was.

It didn't snow all that heavily, but enough that there was snow to clear off my car after work. Fortunately, I was wearing a warm jacket with a hood, but I didn't have real gloves with me*, just fingerless ones, and as soft and warm as they are, that was not the job for them. By the time I got in the car, my fingers were shockingly cold. Oh. Joy. It's winter. Again.
*Hey, they made it sound like we would get rain. "They" were wrong, of course. Surprised?

*****
If any of yesterday's elections didn't go your way, I do sympathize. I distinctly remember the sick feeling of disbelief I felt in 2000. It's not a good feeling; we don't have to agree on a candidate to agree on that. We can still be friends, right?

*****
I never heard back from the absent house cleaners, by the way. The English language needs an expression for something that you wish would happen but don't expect to happen.

*****
Any local readers who are knitters/fiber people going to the Common Cod Fiber Guild's talk this Friday night in Cambridge? Better yarn and fiber photography? Or what about Franklin Habit's talk at Webs Saturday afternoon? Let me know if I might see you there (either "there").

And if you are going to be at Webs, and are not on their mailing list, here's some news that I found exciting:
In store, through Saturday the 10th, shop select Blue Moon Fiber Arts colors at 20% off. Yarns on sale include Silk Thread 2, Silkie Socks That Rock, Socks That Rock Lightweight, Mediumweight & Heavyweight, Twisted, Woobu, BFL Sport, Gaea, Marine Silk Fingering, Marine Silk Sport, Marine Silk Worsted, Mopsy, and Peru. Get them before they're gone!
I know, all the yarn I have brought home recently, and that I still love by the way, but come on, you knew I wasn't going to Webs without at least looking at the STR... Plus, Webs is giving 5% of their sales this week to the Red Cross for the hurricane aftermath. I donated to the Red Cross myself last weekend (my company matched, god bless'em, plus JetBlue gave me bonus points for it, which I'll probably never use but whatever), but the more good karma points I can build up, the better. If, you know, they have colors I like.

*****
I really would have liked to be able to watch last night's Bruins re-run, since it was the game that knocked Philly out (sorry, Kate), but if it was a trade-off for the headache going away, I'll take that trade. Tonight, we open the Tampa series (I saw an ad on NESN the other day that they're doing these games every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night: nice!). The headache right now is what I'd call "not bad, but not gone". I want it to be gone, but at least for the moment, I'm capable of being up, so that's an improvement. We'll see how that goes. I'm off to watch at least the start of tonight's game.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! There was a horrible Pittsburgh playoff game on last night while I was at the gym. And ugh, snow. We got a little bit of it around 12:30 and the kids went nuts at school. It's been a really wet snow that's not sticking but it just feels COLD. Philly's not usually this cold for another month. Snuggle up with those kitties!

    ReplyDelete