Friday, November 23, 2012

More on Reclaiming My Office

Yesterday's angel salad post was post number 1700 for my little corner of the internet. How about that?

But that's not what I'm here for tonight. I'm here to give you more to work with so that you can help me in my Reclaim the Office Plan. Remember that? How I want to make better use of my little weird office room? Well, in order to explain just what I mean when I call it a "small, strangely shaped room," I went digging in my files to find the floor plans I drew up when I bought the place (six years ago this weekend, happy anniversary to me), and scanned the office one: here it is.
If you click on the image, you can see it bigger. The pencil marks you can hardly read (sorry) are measurements in inches. For instance, the top is the outside wall; the marker in the middle is for the window, and it's 62 inches to the left of it and 60 to the right. The left side has the door, which swings in against the top/outside wall. Not only is the other end narrow, just 63 inches, but there's a slanted area on the floor (because there's a stairway underneath it), which means the floor space is really just 51 inches, which really limits what furniture can go at that end.

Here, I have a photo I took before moving in, which shows the slanted bit. This is looking in from the doorway, so to the right in the floor plan, looking the length of the room.
See? It's a challenge! But you're smart people, so ponder on it, would you? I'm going to try to chip away at the task, following the old adage about eating an elephant. This won't get done this year, I'm sure, but every day I can do something will help.

2 comments:

  1. How big is the desk that houses your computer? Is the printer also on the desk or on its own stand? What is the size of the "outgrown" yarn storage cabinet and how outgrown is it? Oh - and how big is the office chair? What are the dimensions of the file cabinet please (l-w-h)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could sort out a made-to measure desk in the narrow end. By treating it like an alcove and putting batons on the wall, and then made to measure shelves - a deep one for a desk surface and for a printer, filing etc you could fit in lots of office type storage. The only downside would be the wiring, but it looks like there is a power outlet over there so you might be OK.

    At the other end I would suggest something like Ikea expedit - so you can us inserts to hide the bits you want to hide, but leave things on display if you want to... They even do glass fronted inserts http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50171754/. Might be costly to buy the whole lot up front, but you can always buy the basic and add inserts one at a time.

    ReplyDelete