Thursday, November 29, 2012

Quick Follow-Up

I thought I was pretty calm about my knitting crisis last night, but after I posted, the computer did something stupid (not new, not surprising, not disastrous in any way, but stupid) and I just lost it. So I guess I was bothered more than I knew! The fact that it was late and I was tired didn't help. I was able to talk myself off the ledge after a while, and fortunately I slept well (if not long enough), but this morning was full of more small, essentially meaningless, but certainly stupid things, and I was very cranky by the time I got to work. Some days, man. Some days. Deep breathing and chocolate are all that get me through some days. The rest of the day was fine, but starting off wrong-footed isn't nice.

So, the knitting problem. This pattern, while I love it in many ways, is not something that you can just stop when you run out of yarn (not without accepting an odd shape, that is). Of course, plenty of patterns are that way, but anyway. My options about how to handle this problem are three-fold, kind of:
  1. Order more of the yarn for the edging. Not a viable option, because of the time it would take, and the probability that the dye lots wouldn't match anyway. Next!
  2. Fudge the edge using the yarn I have. This result would be noticeable to me at least, and probably to Grandma, but I doubt she'd care at all.
  3. Finish the edging with the other yarn, the multi-color that I used for the body of the shawl. This would be very obvious, but not really problematic, and possibly a cute little "design modification" once enough time passes that my teeth stop grinding over the whole thing.
I'll have to decide soon ... but not tonight. Tonight has evaporated, as it too often does.
By the way, I'm sorry but I have to put the comment word verification back on. I took it off less than a week ago, and have since had eleven junk-link-spam comments left on various posts. I hope the word verification doesn't turn any real reader and would-be commenter away (if it does and you have something you want to say, shoot me an e-mail directly, ccrinma at hotmail dot com), but I just can't stand that nonsense. Mea culpa.

1 comment:

  1. Depending on how soon you need the yarn you could always check on ravelry for the correct dye lot. See if anyone has any to sell or trade. That's helped me out before.

    I don't mind the word verification. I'm always hoping for something hilarious ;)

    ReplyDelete