Monday, May 28, 2012

Knitting and More Knitting. Cat and Fur

I had a nice laid-back day today, and with a good chunk of knitting time got the shawl finished. Ta-da!
Pre-blocking, in case that wasn't clear. Blocking should spread it out and open the pattern up a bit. But for this stage, I'm quite pleased with it.
Now that the shawl knitting is done, I can go back to the Tardis that got put aside for it. Though I also want to start another Wingspan, so we'll see how long I can hold off on that. I may have wound one of the skeins for it when I was winding the second skein for the heart shawl, maybe.

In other knitting, I was at a cook-out yesterday, and got through the heel flap on the current sock. But then I noticed that I'd messed up a row or two there, near the top. It wasn't glaringly obvious to look at, though I could see it when I looked.

I might have left it that way, since my general feeling with socks is eh, it's just going on my foot, who cares as long as it fits. But I could feel the difference, and I was afraid that it would be uncomfortable to wear. And that is not acceptable to the owner of these delicate feet.

So today I frogged back a few rows, learning in the process that this yarn is pretty split-prone. Not a quality I admire in yarn! I love the colors, but picking the stitches back up was an extra PITA. I probably won't get it again. Live and learn. From the comments on Ravelry, others find it splitty too, but several mentioned that finished socks wore very well, so I have hope for my FO here. I haven't noticed any yarn color bleeding onto my hands, as some did, but perhaps that's more with really dark colors.

Once the re-do was complete, I turned the heel (twice, since I messed up the first time, good grief). This remains my favorite part of socks: turning a corner in yarn:
Magic.

Tonight Carlos had a session with the serious fur brush. He purred the whole time, and I removed about .57 of his total fur.
That's an estimate. He looks exactly the same as he did before, but dude, that was a lot of fur coming out.

I need to catch the princess and work on her, too; she gets mats in the hindquarters, with all that fluff. God help me.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with brushing her highness. That's never fun with a kitty that doesn't like it. My husband has taken to cutting the mats out on our old kitty. She's not grooming herself as well and those mats build up, plus she hates being brushed, so cutting the mats out is the only way. Fortunately, she has enough fur that it's not immediately obvious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! I'm always impressed by people who can knit because I have zero ability.

    ReplyDelete