Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Progress and Regress

I guess if I had to chose, regression in knitting is preferable to the job-hunt, but I'd much rather have progress on both fronts. Such is life, though.

I had to frog the shawl, and will be re-starting it presently. I'd gotten it to 60 rows, which looked like this:

But if you look closely, you might be able to tell that one side was fine and the other had some problems. My stitch count was off by 2 on the right side, and I couldn't tell where I went wrong. What it meant, though, was that these two elements, which should have been identical:
Well, they aren't, are they? That wasn't the only spot, either. I considered my options, discarded the "tink back ten rows stitch by stitch" because believe it or not I value my sanity, and tried the "rip and pick up" method. My assessment was not favorable, though, and I decided that it would be better to start over. So here we are again.
Since I only messed up one side of it, I was really wishing there was a way to rip one side and keep the other, but there are limits even to the magic of knitting. Sigh. I'll get my money's worth out of this yarn, for sure, in terms of knitting time per dollar.

Meanwhile, I heard from the 2PIC that they want me to do an editing test. I assumed (there's that word) that they would have me come in to the office for that, but no, they're going to send me an actual document and have me edit it. So if I don't check in for a day or two, you'll know what I'm doing.

I also missed a call tonight from the agency about the temp job I interviewed for, so have to check in with her, too. Since things are progressing with the 2PIC and it would be "permanent" and with benefits, I think I'll turn down the temp job if offered ... but it's not an easy decision to make. My career path has been so rocky in recent years, I'm rather nervous of the repercussions of decisions I make now. You just can't know.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you had to frog your project, that is so hard. : (
    In the end it will be gorgeous, there is no doubt there.

    Good luck on your job hunting. I am a firm believer in: "You are where you belong". Hopefully the beauty in that will be an obvious, immediate thing.

    ReplyDelete