Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Pfft, Work: Let's Talk Yarn

Well, only half an hour overtime tonight! (And by overtime, I mean the time, no money is involved. The downside of being salaried.) I won't usually have to cover two nights in a row, but we're shorthanded this week.

I haven't really gone into the issue of late nights at work yet, have I? Because of all the daily deadlines we have, there is the possibility every day that someone will need to stay late in order to get things done. Therefore, there is a schedule of who will be the ones to stay if it comes to that (one primary and one backup from each of the department's sub-groups), a schedule that was put in place because apparently the same people were always staying when it was necessary.

So. That's that. Meanwhile, in a happier, yarnier world, here's what I mentioned in passing last night, that came in the mail yesterday to redeem my evening.


I've been wanting to get this kit for the fiddlehead mittens for a while, and when the purveyor announced on her blog that it was going to be discontinued shortly, I snapped one up. No regrets!


The colors came out of the bag and were immediately brighter:


Too bright, even, as the lighter color washed out:


This one is more true:


Now I just have to decide when to start them.

And the ribbed shrug I want to make (for that extra little layer at work).

Hmmm. I do have vacations coming up: how much knitting is reasonable to bring for a week? Keeping in mind that a, it isn't a week solely devoted to knitting, and b, reasonable may not be the word I'm looking for.

Meanwhile, I have made progress on the scarf I mentioned recently. After a good stripey start, the two colors got a little too close, but I kept on to see what would happen, and they diverged again. I am finding the changes very entertaining.




I am ready for something other than green or brown to come out, though!

And just to show that we are everywhere (we meaning knitters, in this case), today's mail brought the new PW with these guys on the cover:


Pay no attention to the Tanis card; it was the closest thing I had to hand to preserve my secret identity.

Seriously, how cute are they? It's the craft issue, and this is a new book coming out.


Now I want to see inside!

4 comments:

  1. I guess if people have to stay late at work it's good to have a system so that it rotates every time. Still no fun to not know ahead of time whether or not you have to stay. :-/

    Also: those mittens and that scarf are going to be fab-u-lous. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, thoseo mittens are divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The scarf is turning out way cool. I have a cousin who loves green and brown; she'd be all over that.

    Sock animals? Those are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still love those fiddleheads and those colors are awesome! Yay yarn! Boo mandatory overtime! Yay to it cooling down.

    ReplyDelete